How to SUM action from all users one by one?

Terminaxx

Hey guys,

I got a table where transactions are listed in, therefore we got once the "receiver", the "comment" and the "action" (amount)
For exmaple

User A - something - 50

User B - something - 50

User C - tax - 100

User D - tax - 100

User D - tax - 200

User F- tax - 200

I want to get the sum from every action with the comment "tax" listed by users

So it should be like this:

User C - tax - 100

User D - tax - 300  <-- 200 + 100

User F - tax - 200

How can I do this?

Thanks for any help and I hope it is clear, what I am trying to do.

Sorry but I don't really get it. I tried this:

$result = mysqli_query($con, "SELECT SUM(action) AS value_sum FROM transactions WHERE comment = 'tax' ORDER BY receiver"); 

Did you mean this? Or how exactly am I gonna do this? Sorry but im kinda new to this.

1. You are only SELECTing the amount, but you also need the receiver in your data. So, that needs to be in the SELECT condition

2. The SUM() function requires a GROUP BY - this determine which records get summed. Since you want all the 'actions' added for each receiver, you need to GROUP BY receiver

3. I would highly suggest creating your queries as a variable and including the variable in the query functions instead of writing the queries directly in the query function. It makes management and debugging much, much easier. And format the query to help in reading it.

$query = "SELECT receiver, SUM(action) as value_sum
          FROM transactions 
          WHERE comment = 'tax'
          GROUP BY receiver
          ORDER BY receiver";
$result = mysqli_query($con, $query);

Edit: 

Sorry to make it sound stupid again, but how exactly can I echo the sum correctly now?

I tried this:

while($row = mysqli_fetch_object($res)) {
$name = $row->receiver;
$row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($res);
$sum = $row['value_sum'];

echo "<tr>";
echo "<td>".$name."</td>";
echo "<td>".number_format($sum, 0, ",", ".")." Money</td>";
}

Sorry if it is really easy for you and it annoys you, but I still try to learn and understand.

It shows some results, but they are way too low so they can't be correct.

Each iteration of the while() loop fetches a row. Within that loop you then fetch another row (for some reason). So now each pass throught the loop is reading two rows.

Remove The line with fetch_assoc() and use $sum = $row->value_sum; as you have chosen to fetch objects

Archived