store email into mysql

Riparian

Sorry that the topic is cryptic but I am unsure how to ask the question.

I have written and been using a php client contact ticket system for many years using phpmailer.

The problem I have is when I send an email out to a client they reply using the "reply" button in the email program  and ignore the "please click here to reply " which takes them to the site where they can log in  and be  shown all  previous correspondence etc etc .

What I would like is for the clients to be able to reply using their outlook (or similar) email program but their reply and other details be  stored in mysql

Is this possible ?

Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated

You can write code that stores email information in MySQL, sure.

But getting that email information is the problem. If you run your own mail server then you can probably set up some type of hook that runs a PHP script when it receives certain types of emails. Otherwise you might be stuck having to make a script that periodically logs into your mailbox, looks for new emails, and fetches and stores any it finds (meeting the right criteria).

If it is that important, how about using a 'bogus' reply to address in the emails that you send out? If a client hits the mail client's reply feature their reply will go to this bogus reply-to address which could be an address that points to a php script which in turn sends back a form letter telling the client what to do.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I am aware that this can be done somehow purely because my host runs the exact same thing.

If I need support I create a ticket on their site, they reply to me via normal email and from then on we converse using (in my case) using MS Outlook.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would certainly appreciate it :)

Cheers

I am aware that this can be done somehow purely because my host runs the exact same thing.

"Purely" as in purely with PHP code? Sure. It's not the best mechanism possible but it can be done.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would certainly appreciate it :)

Weird. I could swear I did that.

Archived