symlinks in public folder not invoking the website

ajoo

Hi all, 

My project folder on my ubuntu server lies at this location (a) : /home/vagrant/website

I had copied my project at /var/www/public/ ( I created the public folder under /var/www/. The other folder by default is html which contains the default index.php displaying the phpinfo)

I now wished to create a symlink to my project folder at (a). SO i deleted my project folder and files under the public folder and instead created the symlinks. This is what the public folder looks like now:

vagrant@vagrant:/var/www/public$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 vagrant www-data 28 Jun 19 10:21 project -> /home/vagrant/website/project
lrwxrwxrwx 1 vagrant www-data 27 Jun 19 10:21 proj_inn -> /home/vagrant/website/proj_inn
lrwxrwxrwx 1 vagrant www-data 27 Jun 19 10:21 mylibs -> /home/vagrant/website/mylibs
vagrant@vagrant:/var/www/public$

However when I try and access my project page on the browser,  it does not show up. Instead the phpinfo page from the default index.php is displayed.

Am I making a mistake or can't symlinks be used as I am trying to use them??

Thanks all !

Hi all, 

There seems to be something else the issue. Since I have recopied the actual directories and files back into public, still it rums the default index.php outputting the default ubuntu page. So it seems not to be a symlink issue but something else. 

I would be grateful for any hints on what i should look for or try ,

Thanks all

The domain name as seen in the browser isn't matching one of the site configurations used by Apache/nginx. Either there is no configuration, or it's not enabled, or Apache/nginx haven't been restarted since adding the configuration, or the domain names don't match.

Hi requinix, 

Long time ! I hope you are good. 

The actual error was really dumb. I had not changed the https port 443 back to 80 in the conf file of the new server where there was no SSL certificate. So that seems to be a configuration mismatch. 

However I do have a related question which I will ask later since I am trying out a few things to be a little bit clearer or sort it altogether. It has to do with symlinks. 

I'll come back later. Meanwhile this issue is sorted.

Thanks loads.

Hi requinix and all !

So here's my related question that I mentioned in the last mail.

I have 2 VPS's identical in all respect and working. In the first VPS, my /var/www folder is organized as follows:

vagrant@vagrant:/var/www$ ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 19 11:03 html
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Dec 26 12:22 public -> /home/vagrant/project1

vagrant@vagrant:/var/www/public$ ls -l
total 54
drwx--x--- 1 vagrant www-data     0 Feb 13 11:40 code_testers
drwxrwxr-x 1 vagrant www-data  8192 Apr 21 20:13 webroot1
drwx--x--- 1 vagrant www-data  4096 Feb 13 11:40 aboveroot1
drwx--x--- 1 vagrant www-data  4096 Apr  9 14:04 secure

and in the 2nd VPS as 

vagrant@vagrant:/var/www$ ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 18 08:57 html
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 20 03:17 public
vagrant@vagrant:/var/www

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Jun 20 03:17 webroot2 -> /home/vagrant/web/webroot2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jun 20 03:17 aboveroot2 -> /home/vagrant/web/aboveroot2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jun 20 03:17 secure -> /home/vagrant/web/secure
vagrant@vagrant:/var/www/public$

There is a folder called images inside the aboveroot1/(2) folders in both VPSes. This stores images of the registered users and is mostly there for the purpose of editing, though not by the user but by an admin. 

folder permissions on images in both VPSes is drwx-wx---- or (730) while the file permissions are -rw-rw--- ( 660 ). While VPS1 displays the pictures from images folder just as it should, in the form, VPS2 fails to do so. 

I suspect that the 2nd method is the right way of setting up  symlinks and that VPS1 is exposing the aboveroot1 folder as publicly accessible. If my assumption is correct and I go the VPS2 way, then, how do I display the picture files from inside the images folder? Can i do that by changing permissions on the folders OR would i have to expose the images folder and bring/move it from inside the aboveroot1(2) to under the webroot ?

I hope i could explain my issue clearly and look forward to your replies and suggestions, 

Thanks all !

Hi Gizmola & Requinix, 

Thanks for the inputs. You were correct, both that is. There was a path error in the xsendfile module.

Gizmolas reply set me thinking. 

I cannot find the button that would set this thread as solved with a best reply else I would do so. 

Thanks again !

52 minutes ago, ajoo said:

I cannot find the button that would set this thread as solved with a best reply else I would do so.

IP.Board decided that nobody needed it anymore so they got rid of it :( And if their codebase wasn't so terrible I'd write a plugin to add it back. But you can Like/Thanks posts.

I think this feature was really great since one could save tons of time by simply focusing on looking for a solution from answered questions instead of going through each & every similar question.  Further it let one zoom down directly to the correct answer in the thread !

really sad !

Thank you.

Hi requinix, 

I do have a recommended link at the top of the page. and there's a Featured Link , like a star in a down arrow, on Gizmola's post. 

So how do we do it ?? This would serve nicely to show that the topic is answered and closed !

Thanks !

1 hour ago, ajoo said:

I do have a recommended link at the top of the page. and there's a Featured Link , like a star in a down arrow, on Gizmola's post. 

Okay, yes, but do you see a Recommend link at the bottom of each post? By the Quote?

1 hour ago, ajoo said:

It however does not show up in the list of topics to indicate that a topic is answered and closed. Wish you could do something about that too !

I can look into it but I suspect it won't be easy enough for me to just do. If it requires writing a plugin then I'd really rather not have to bother. Truth is the Mark Solved thing didn't actually get a whole lot of use...

1 hour ago, requinix said:

I can look into it but I suspect it won't be easy enough for me to just do. If it requires writing a plugin then I'd really rather not have to bother. Truth is the Mark Solved thing didn't actually get a whole lot of use...

Made a couple small tweaks: in the forum view, on the left of each thread where there used to be a star or circle (or nothing) there can now be a check. Shows if there is a recommended post. I also made a similar change somewhere else but I don't know where it is... tempted to revert but meh, the syntax is good so it should be fine. I did the check because that's the only thing I saw readily possible - didn't see markup to support something like the label style the old forum had.

The change isn't in other places. And if people can't see the Recommend link then I'll figure out where that's all managed tomorrow because I think I'll have to go into the IPB source to find out.

edit: Oh, I see something better I can do. Tomorrow.

Hi Requinix, 

No, there is no recommend link at the bottom near the quote.

The check would be just fine. What's required is an indication that the problem is solved or had a best reply. So I guess the checks would do the job well.

You know, the main reason I think this feature was not used is that often, there is more than one reply to fit the best category and the user is in a quandary regarding which to select as the best. Happened with me so many times. Even in this very question. Lol !!, Your reply was correct but Gizmola's provided a deeper insight & got me thinking. 

All the best for your new idea  !! 

Thanks !!

Archived