music fonts required

piano0011

Hello!

I have used some fonts from font awesome but there aren't much music fonts there. Does anyone know of a good music fonts that I can use? I have tried using the google search but there is this annoying border around it...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Barand said:

:confused:

Way I see it, they're basically a hold-over from the wild west days of character encoding in HTML documents. Now everybody does UTF-8 so... entities aren't really as useful.

43 minutes ago, Barand said:

So you wouldn't use

echo '𝄞 𝄽 𝅘𝅥 𝅗𝅥 𝅘𝅥𝅮';

I would have thought the only other option is one of the specialized music fonts

Unicode has tons and tons of miscellaneous symbols but not everything one might want. And some of the newer stuff isn't always commonly supported quickly. But if the HTML entity works then the regular character itself should too. Plus the characters have a significant advantage: I have no idea what character 0x1D11E is but I can recognize ? easily.

The specialized fonts are basically to fill in the gaps. Or to standardize on a particular appearance for something; consider emoji, which vary wildly between platforms but with a specialized font would be the same for everyone.

3 minutes ago, Barand said:

How? My keyboard dosn't have a treble clef character.

But it's not like you typed 1D11E from memory. I hope. You looked it up somewhere. And that same place would surely have a copy/paste-able character to use alongside the HTML entity code.

I mean ultimately it doesn't really matter. It all works equally well. Nobody is going to care about a difference of 5 bytes.

Copying from the PDF you linked gives me a <?> but from fileformat.org worked, so I don't know...

That character 턞 is U+D11E so it's an issue with support for five-digit codepoints. Even Windows produces it using the alt code (Alt Num+ 1D11E) so it's clearly ignoring that high nibble. Seems like it's something to do with UTF-16.

Using a <p> is a completely separate question and has no bearing on whether you use an entity or not. You're the only one who knows your HTML markup so you're the only one who could know whether you need to add a <p> somewhere.

I am trying to add one of the above pictures to my website and have done the following:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="treble_clef">
<p>&#x1D13D</p>;
</div>
</body>
</html>

This is my CSS code:

div.treble_clef {
  font-size: 100px;
  position: relative;

}

However, compared with my other pictures with the same elements in my CSS, it looks very small:

image.png.937cd54165132bb92940fc2083b9634a.png

image.thumb.png.cc561b8be5b5cb723622beef2b9787f2.png

Seems it isn't applying the style def. Why are you so fond of relative positioning for everything?

Have you tried using a span style

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  <title>Sample</title>
  <style type="text/css">
  body {
      font-family: verdana;
      font-size: 12pt;
  }
  div {
      width: 400px;
      text-align: center;
  }
  span.treble_clef {
      font-size: 100px;
  }

</style>
</head>
<body>
<div>
    Click <a href="">here</a> to upload your picture profile
    <br>
    <span class="treble_clef">&#x1D11E;</span>
    <br>
    Click <a href="">here</a> to delete your picture profile
    <br>
    <span class="treble_clef">&#x1D122;</span>
</div>
</body>
</html>

EDIT: Do you have a style defined for <p> elements? That would override the div setting if you put it inside <p> tags.

Capture.PNG

Now that you mentioned it, I think I might have a a style def for <p>.... I should try span and see what it does.. is this similar to relative position? I am just playing around with relative position and absolute at the moment to see what I can come up with... Just experimenting.. Actually, that is weird, now it is working and looks alright... Maybe i just have to wait and give it some time for the browser to respond

Archived