countdown timer needed

piano0011

Looking at this post and all of your other posts it appears you really, REALLY need to do some learning on your own.

First - this post.  If you knew anything you would realize that your question is way off base.  You can't really get the timer that you want using php.  PHP can't count down something for you on your screen as you sit there and watch it.  If you wanted to just know for instance how long it took for your app to return an answer to something you asked in a page, yes it could do that.  Why?  Because php runs on the server!  So as in my second case php can start counting when you hit a submit button and then give you back the duration before it comes back to you with an answer.  But if you are looking for a timer to tick off the seconds while you are looking at the screen (case 1) you need to use JS because that runs ON YOUR CLIENT.

Please - perhaps you need to step back from programming/writing code and do some self-teaching.  Read. Read. Read.

2 hours ago, ginerjm said:

Looking at this post and all of your other posts it appears you really, REALLY need to do some learning on your own.

Sums it up pretty well. Being familiar with the OP from another forum I gave him a heads up when he showed up here.

OP, I highly recommend you put some effort into learning on your own and not posting every time a question pops in your head. We are more than happy to help when you get stuck, meaning you have already made attempts on your own to find the answers you need. As you saw from the other forum, people will start ignoring you if you wear out your welcome.

I will put in more of my learning effort but was asking questions that i had learnt already such as the div class... and why it move to the next line.. i have done some basic already but was just surprised that it got moved to the next line. 

However, i wanted a timer with php alone because i haven't learnt java yet and just wanted to know if this was possible? 

Apparently you need to do some teaching of yourself on the following subjects:

html

css

js

php

Point - there is no "div class'.  There is a class attribute that you can assign to a div tag.  Semantics you may say.  I say 'one must be careful in how one words something in this business.'

I do appreciate how early it is in your career here and that there is an awful lot that you don't yet know.  We have all been there.  The way we ALL got through it was by doing a bunch of reading.  If reading is not your thing then you may find this road daunting.

1 hour ago, piano0011 said:

However, i wanted a timer with php alone because i haven't learnt java yet and just wanted to know if this was possible? 

My last go at this thread. Java is not the same thing as JavaScript which is what you are actually referring to. Using the wrong terminology could make it difficult for you to get correct responses.

2 hours ago, piano0011 said:

I will put in more of my learning effort but was asking questions that i had learnt already such as the div class... and why it move to the next line.. i have done some basic already but was just surprised that it got moved to the next line. 

Learning takes time. Keep at it. Sometimes things take a while before they click into place. ?

2 hours ago, piano0011 said:

I assume that you are looking for a timer that actively changes a set of numbers being displayed on the screen. As ginerjm mentioned in an earlier post, that's not possible with PHP. You'll need to use a client-side language (eg. JavaScript) to do that.

Archived