winscp does not handle the credentials correctly

dil_bert

hello dear experts i moved from one machine to another

and now the protocoll says - cant find the (credential) files on -- path (the old_machine/c/etc/etx

note - even if i have entered a new protocoll file - (with the upload of new credentials ) i get this annoying message...

why this happens.

how to fix that correctly

hi there - sure thing.

i can correct the paths  -- in the winscp - ini file...

path names are at a bunch of locations in the winscp - ini - file:

PuttyPath=
LogFileName=
ActionsLogFileName=
[Configuration\History\PuttyPath] 0=
[Configuration\Interface\Explorer] ToolbarsLayout=
UserName=vhost
PublicKeyFile=
LocalDirectory=
RemoteDirectory=/
i can correct here - or i can do some _ eg _ more smarter process - set up the correct path at the frontend of -winscp -

what do you say!?

hello dear all

saw some explanations :

https://winscp.net/eng/docs/config#ini_readonly

Hi, I am regularly using WinSCP on different systems. What I find tedious is, that I can not share the settings between them. The registry obviously cannot be shared but also the WinSCP.ini file is put into the Program Files folder (which is not shareable, either, and where it really should NOT sit since it is not writable by normal processes since Win Vista)

WinSCP is already half way there. If only it would allow to specify a path where to store the WinSCP.ini file, then once could place that file into some "cloud folder" (using DropBox or SkyDrive or whatever) and could thus share the settings between several machines. I am doing that with several other tools already and that greatly improved my user experience!

Checking What Store Is in Use

When troubleshooting problems, it is necessary to find whether WinSCP is actually using the configuration storage you intended. For that inspect a beginning of the session log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
WinSCP Version 5.0.2 (Build 1456) (OS 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3)             
Configuration: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\         
Local account: INTRANET\martin                                           

Tag Configuration shows either HKEY_CURRENT_USER Windows registry key or a path to an INI file. When Windows registry configuation storage is in use, it is also important under what Windows account is WinSCP running, to know what account the HKEY_CURRENT_USER refers to. For that refer to Local account tag.

Surely I'm not understanding something important, because that very same page you just linked to also says

INI File Location
When loading configuration, WinSCP first looks for an INI file in the directory, where WinSCP executable is stored in. The INI file needs to have an .ini extension and the same name as the executable (i.e. WinSCP.ini). If INI file in not found there, WinSCP looks to application data directory of your user profile, i.e. to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\WinSCP.ini.

When you opt to use INI file for the first time, WinSCP tries to write it to directory, where WinSCP executable is stored in. If the directory is not writable, INI file is stored to application data directory of your user profile.

You may also use an INI file in a different folder or with a different name using /ini switch or in preferences.

dear Requinix,

many thanks for the quick reply. GREAT to hear  from you. Probably i  do not understand all the circumstances - and the cause - why i run into these troubles.

my experience is the following:

i cannot copy the ini file from one machine to another - that does not work at all.

Well - two ideas:

- with Filezilla this works pretty good.

- ithought that this was possible with older versions of winscp -..!? Wasnt it!"?

well - i muse bout the options i have! now... What would you do to solve this issue

hello - well it is all about the topic - described here - How do I transfer my settings from a non-working computer?

cf  https://winscp.net/eng/docs/config#transfer

Exporting/Backing up the Configuration

To export/back up your configuration, go to Tools > Export/Backup configuration on Login dialog.

In older versions of WinSCP, use Export button on Preferences dialog.
Importing/Restoring Configuration

To import/restore the configuration, go to Tools > Import/Restore configuration on Login dialog.

See also How do I transfer my settings from a non-working computer?
Transferring the Configuration
To transfer your configuration to another computer/location, export the configuration to an INI file and then import the file on the another computer/location.

in the documentation we can read:

Transferring the Configuration

cf https://winscp.net/eng/docs/config#transfer

To transfer your configuration to another computer/location, export the configuration to an INI file and then import the file on the another computer/location.
Registry Key

well - that means that we only have to take the file and port it over...
is this true?

If you can't copy a file then... then I don't know what to say because I can't imagine any reason why you shouldn't be able to copy a file.

That's all there is to it. A file. An INI file or an export file, either way it's just one file. What is stopping you from copying it?

hello dear requinix - many thanks for the quick reply

to be frank - it is the so called error 2 - "cannot find the path to file"

but perhaps i wil have to try it again

perhaps it is no problem of

a. setting the paths new. or

b. someting else

i will try out some further steps..

btw cf:  https://winscp.net/eng/docs/config#export

Exporting/Backing up the Configuration

To export/back up your configuration, go to Tools > Export/Backup configuration on Login dialog.

In older versions of WinSCP, use Export button on Preferences dialog.
Importing/Restoring Configuration

To import/restore the configuration, go to Tools > Import/Restore configuration on Login dialog.

See also How do I transfer my settings from a non-working computer?

greetings

A portable version is more or less guaranteed to work the way you want. But I still think WinSCP can already do that natively - at least when it comes to the location of the configuration file, as a portable version also probably reverts any registry changes made.

Archived