Linux as server

Hope i'm not in the wrong forum section with this...

I am about to set up my first server running Apache (2?) and i plan to use it only for running PHP 5 and MySql 5 + various extensions.

What Operating system should i install ?

I don't want to install a premade packade on it (like wamp running windows) as i want to install as clean as possible and also get familiar with each part as i work it.
I installed wamp on my laptop here the other day just to easily test php etc. but i feel it's not suited on a "clean" server as i don't ever use either php-myadmin or sql-lite.

A Linux dependant friend of mine mentioned Ubuntu 606 as a good installation to start on.

Any thoughts ?

It really depends on your knowledge of linux, or more importantly, whether or not you have a little time to tinker around with it and learn about it. I recently set up a server running Slackware 10.2. Nothing big, just a NAS for me and my roommates, and a webserver (still battling the CS:Source linux dedicated server, but that's for another post.) I had some basic knowledge of linux before I started, and I have a friend that was more than willing to help walk me through some of the more complex tasks. I very much enjoy running my own server, I've learned a ton about linux, networking, and computers in general. I think if you're going to be developing for the web, its much easier to do so under linux, (developing anything for that matter). I have pretty much the exact setup that you described, PHP5, Mysql 5, and Apache 2. It runs flawlessly, but it did take some sweat and tears to get it here, but now that I am here, I think that doing it again would be much less painless. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Slackware to a complete beginner, but that is what I started on. I've never used Ubuntu, but I've heard its very popular, along with SUSE. I've stuck with Slackware and Debian for my machines. Give it a shot! You know what they say, once you go linux you can't go back (except for games...)!

Thanks for your reply.
My Linux knowledge IS NULL - but as you, i have someone with the knowledge to ask when nessesary. I'm not afraid to step in some challenges, a stable and secure OS is to be preferred above easiness/lazyness on installing. The knowledge from trying,failing and fixing is too valuable to loose.
I've heard about debian too, but i don't know whats to be preferred - maybe just what you prefer in the end. I understand Ubuntu have Long Term Support (5 years on server) and thats assuring.

Was checking the downloads, it a pure server version available (without graphical user interface) and i assume that's the one to start with ?

Thx

We just installed the new SuSe 10.1 onto a new intranet server we bought for our large office.

The learning curve isn't bad. We were up and running, had all of the modules installed, and debugged the php program we designed, within two weeks.

In the USA I recommend going to either Barnes & Noble or Boarders and buying the "Linux Starter Kit by Emmett Dulaney" $39.95. It includes the full 10.1 installation DVD.

But I would also recommend buying an advanced SuSe 10.1 book. You will find that you will be at the Novell community boards, as well.

What is a little confusing, for those of use who have used Wamp or a Unix Amp, is how they break up the Apache httpd.config file to use various "includes" for modules and commands, rather than one central httpd.config file.

Also, the "Web Developer" package install default doesn't install all modules and all programs. You will need to know exactly what programs you want and what modules you need that are beyond the defaults.

For the most part, though, I think it is the best available. Oh, and this is the open source version (not to be confused with the enterprise version).

Ok, i add that my first primary goal is a private server so i will have plenty of time (!?) to work on an install/setup. But, these days private homes around here are getting fiber lines (50/25 Mbit/s) so when it's blinking in my cellar things would change and i might want to put it online.

Thanks for every experience

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.