How do I set up this cron job?

Guest MrLeN

I know how to log into cPanel and set the time for a cron job and the script to be executed.

However, in Bookly (a booking system script), it simply gives these instructions:

To send scheduled notifications please execute the following command hourly with your cron:

wget -q -O - http://www.xxxxxxxx.com.au/wp-content/plugins/appointment-booking/lib/utils/send_notifications_cron.php

Is that something I have to do with a command prompt? 

Can someone set me in the right direction? I'm lost. I don't know much about crons.

There is also a box right next to it saying:

Set period of time when system will attempt to deliver notification to user. Notification will be discarded after period expiration.

And there's a drop box with different hour settings.

I  thought that notification period was the whole reason for cron?

I am thoroughly confused.

I've got $50 for anyone who can help me with this if explaining is too hard. I've had a gut full.

That command is literally the command to run. I'm not sure why that's confusing. It also told you that the command needs to be executed hourly.

The fact that they prompt you for which hour(s) to run means that the script will decide for itself when it should act. It will run hourly because that's what cron will do, but then the script will check your settings to decide if it should actually do anything or not.

It's confusing because:

1: I don't know how to "run the command"

2: I don't know what wget -q -O - means 

3). I have never set up a cron job in this way -- as explained I have only ever set one up using the cPanel form.

Your response has p'd me off. If I don't know what it means or how to do it, I don't know what it means or how to do it. To tell me you're not sure why it's confusing implies that I am some kind of idiot. I don't like you. Bad administrator.

Again, I have $50 for someone that can help me. *Someone that isn't so abrasive, caustic or mean.

1. Have you ever used the command line? On Windows or Linux? Sounds like you have not.

2. wget is a program that can retrieve webpages and other online content. -q -O - are arguments to it that mean to output that content (rather than save to a file) and to suppress any other unnecessary output.

3. If you have set up cronjobs in cPanel then surely you know that a cronjob involves a time, or time interval, and a command to run.

My response may have been snippy because it your experience with cronjobs in cPanel should imply certain knowledge of what cronjobs are. And yet you're missing some important information that, at the very least, could be answered with a Google search. So there's something wrong here.

But hey, if you want to pay someone to do something that should take literally seconds then that's your decision.

Archived