2,5 vs 3.5 inch hdd - which options do we have on a Raspi-Project

dil_bert

good day dear friends,

well  sure i  know this is theoretically a bit difficult, but I dare to ask: what are the possible ways to connect an internal 3.5'' SATA HDD to the board (let's say  i want to use a 1TB)? Let's ignore the need for additional power.

Note: i want to add a good power supply unit: So that i have enough power. What about the ways and options to connect a HDD.

What is aimed: I want to make a box like a Network Attached Storage - a NAS -  that contains the board and the HDD internally, so the trivial "plug to USB connector" is excluded. How can I do this?

first approach: Well - i guess that  the only way is to use a sata to usb adaptor or a usb enclosure for the drive.

What do you say - i love to hear from you

well if we want to connect an internal HDD, then i guess that  would have to get some sort of USB -> SATA adapter and still connect it through the slow USB2 ports on the Raspberry pi or Banana Pi.

Regarding power, i guess that we would need to power the drive by some external means, since USB2 ports probably won’t have the power to power an internal SATA drive.

Well the question is:  i can use a good and rock solid power supply unit that supports the running of a (interntal) b3.5 HDD.

any sugggestions for this power supply unit - that i can put into my rack too

Archived