Help with file iteration

Riparian

This is a little difficult to explain.

I have a retail site with about 1000 products. the flow of the site is index>product display > product details > shopping cart > and so on

When I try to make a sitemap or other similar programs such as seo powersuite the program finds over 6000 (before i stop it) entries with up to up to 100 links per item because it and the search engines are finding one link on....  page 1 model number 1 ....then page 2 with model number 1.....   then page 3 with model number 1 ..... and so on Ad Infinitum

What is worse is that the bots also do the same thing on the product display page which I can only assume that google is not too keen on .

This has all been created because when I wrote the program dirty URL's was not heard of and now it is too late to change

This is something I have struggled with for years but I am hoping that there might be a work around but would like an expert opinion.

My Questions is :

by putting "noindex" on the product display page it completely stops this behavior BUT..... will this be a real negative to the SEO (not that it could be worse because August 1 algo  killed the business anyway !! )

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks

MANY-INTERNAL-LINKS.jpg

Use canonical URLs. The crawlers will hit every URL they can come across, that's fine, it happens, but you can instruct them whether there is a canonical URL for a resource.

Here, the canonical URL would be the one with just the model number. Every page will use that same one (per product) canonical page and eventually the bots will understand that your site isn't full of duplicate pages.

2 minutes ago, Riparian said:

This has all been created because when I wrote the program dirty URL's was not heard of and now it is too late to change

Actually it isn't too late. If you don't mind a small decrease in SEO temporarily then you can fix this. Want to?

Hi  requinix and thank you for replying

I actually have canonicals set up in "product display" and assumed that this would solve the problems but no luck unfortunately

I  cannot use a canonical in  "product details"  because in "details" it needs the model number which is passed from "display" . Each time the "details" program is accessed without a model number it produces an error so I am assuming that if a bot gets the error message this would be worse that multiple internal links ??

Cheers

What you're saying doesn't make sense.

These pages
  MyProductsPage.php?model=p4033a&cart=p4033a
  MyProductsPage.php?model=p4033a&page=1
  MyProductsPage.php?model=p4033a&page=2 rel=
  MyProductsPage.php?model=p4033a&page=2 rel=&JumpTo=p4033a
  MyProductsPage.php?model=p4033a&page=2&JumpTo=p4033a
  MyProductsPage.php?model=p4033a&page=32

should all have a rel=canonical to
  MyProductsPage.php?model=p4033a

Same for the others according to the model number. There is no reason MyProductsPage.php would not be able to do that.

I am afraid that did not help :(

I have set the product_display_page to

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.mysite.com.au/great_xxxx.php?page=<?php echo $page ?>">

and the product_details-page to

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.mysite.com.au/expand_xxx.php?model=<?php echo $model ?>">

but as you can see from the attached screen shot it has made no difference to the sitemap information and I assume that the robots will see the same thing... thousands of them.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

MANY-INTERNAL-LINKS-2.jpg

The sitemap is coming from seo powersuite website auditor but it is the same in  other programs I can find to check the site .

I have tried to fix this many many times over the years on different forums but have never found a way to stop it from  duplicating the urls that have  parameters after the .php extension.

I am in penalty (even though they do not call it that) at the moment and believe that this may well be contributing to the problem. My site has dropped from position one for all 20 main  keywords to not even ranking for my most important keywords.... hence why I simply must find a fix :(

cheers

Archived