php session variable html not rendering

sicklermd

i have a couple test functions that i set up to make this easier to explain.  function setmsg() does just that, sets a message in a session variable.  fuction viewmsg() is called on the redirected page and displays the message and then unsets the variable.   the message shows up just fine, but when i view the source of the page, the html is not there.  make sense?

function setmsg(){

//set message to user to display
	$_SESSION['type'] = "noError";

$_SESSION['userMsg'] = "client status changed";

redirect("second.php");
	exit;

}

function viewmsg() {

echo '<div id="'.$_SESSION['type'].'">'.$_SESSION['userMsg'].'</div>';		

unset($_SESSION['userMsg']);

}

view the source of the "second.php" page and this is what i get.....

<div id="noError"></div>

the mesage "Client status was changed" clearly displays just fine.  is this normal?

i'm not sure i understand, change my single quotes to double?

if i unset the $_session['type'] after echoing it, it has the same issue.  it will be visible on the screen, but gone when you view source.

also the redirect is another function, sorry i didn't say that.   

When you're pulling up the source for the page, the browser is requesting the page a second time. It's not showing you the original source that it was presenting.

If you just want to browse the markup and don't mind seeing the current state of the DOM (as opposed to the original markup that the server returned) then use your browser's Inspect feature, whatever it may be called.

Archived