Trying to get phpMyAdmin to work with php7.2 in Vagrant

maxxd

Hi y'all.

First off, I suck at RegEx (like, massively) and I'm not what anyone would call an expert on the command line (I'm not useless, but certainly not a whiz). More than happy to admit that. However, I'm trying to deal with a bug that's apparently cropped up in phpMyAdmin when used on php7.2 - there's this in the conditional:

|| (count($analyzed_sql_results['select_expr'] == 1)

and it needs to be:

|| (count($analyzed_sql_results['select_expr']) == 1)

Now, I'm trying to automate this via a Vagrant provision script, so I figured I'd use sed to replace the line - it's working on the php.ini file just fine. This is what I've come up with as my sed command:

sudo sed -i "s/\(count\(\$analyzed_sql_results\['select_expr'\] == 1 .*/\(count\(\$analyzed_sql_results\['select_expr'\]\) == 1/" /usr/share/phpmyasdmin/libraries/sql.lib.php

and for the life of me I can't figure out why it's not doing anything at all and I don't see any errors in PowerShell.

If it matters, I've added the ppa:nijel/phpmyadmin repository to my apt on the Vagrant machine.

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Yeah, it's clearly a typo. It's been patched (apparently) in 4.8, but even adding the ppa:nijel/phpmyadmin repository, the most recent version I can get is 4.6.6. I could update it manually from the VM command line, but I'm trying to automate this as much as possible with the Vagrant provision script, and I'm admittedly a little behind the times with Vagrant.

Speaking of typos, I just saw that I spelled 'phpmyadmin' wrong in the file parameter for the sed call. Corrected that and tested and it still isn't working as I expect it to, so I assume my expression is malformed.

Looks like 4.6.6 has the bug and it was the last of its series.

For stuff like this I suggest not sed. That's too fragile. Instead use patches: copy the file, make the edit manually, then use `diff` to create a diff file from the change. `patch` will apply it.
You can also grab the patch from the fix they later applied starting with 4.7.2.

Patches are how I manage old codebases. For an automated deployment I have a patches directory that all get applied after the initial unpack/install step.

Sorry if I sound thick here, but is that something I can automate? I can see making the change manually to a local version, then reading that in from the setup shell script and overwriting the downloaded version. Which now that I type it out seems like that may not be a bad idea, actually... Again, I'm not terrible with *nix command line, but I'm not great - diff and patch certainly sound like git or SVN commands and I don't know if that's something I can do while provisioning a virtual machine.

Oooh - thank you for the link! I always thought diff and patch were git or SVN specific and had nothing to do with linux. I love it when I learn something new - let me read and experiment and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks very much!

Archived