WordPress Question

Guest MrLeN

I want to change my WordPress URL's  (permalinks) to not having the date in them.

I know how to do this, as there is a simple setting for that in Settings > Permalinks

However, if you change them, the old ones don't work.

Is there a way to change them and also redirect the old ones?

I mean easily, not by separately having to find all the links and create a redirect file or something. That would kill me.

If you're talking about hardcoded URLs somewhere, you'll have to fix them yourself.

If you're talking about existing URLs that you want to support then you should be able to use URL rewriting for it. An example of the old and new URLs would make explaining that process easier.

Yes, I am not worries about hardcoded URL's -- they're posted all over the Internet for years.

I wish WordPress had a build in functionality so that if you change the permalink structure, it will automatically redirect all the old ones. In my brain, I am almost positive it used to be like that. Apparently not.

Ok., so what you're saying is I have to create a .htaccess file with some kind of rewrite code that will handle all the links?

I don't suppose you know how I would write that  file? Or where I can go to find out? Because I don't know how to write such a line.

Yes, I am not worries about hardcoded URL's -- they're posted all over the Internet for years.

I am not referring to hardcoded URL's. I am referring only to WordPress permalinks in the settings  page.

ie: I want to change the structure of:

REMOVED LINK TO SLOW AS HELL WEBSITE OF A MORON

to

REMOVED LINK TO SLOW AS HELL WEBSITE OF A MORON

I think this thread can be closed. The question is relating to whether or not WordPress has the functionality to redirect changed permalinks. It appears it either doesn't or nobody around here knows the answer. So I'll keep searching. Thanks for your time.

If you read closer you'll see that plugin doesn't do what you want: to redirect changed permalinks. It's just a generic redirection plugin. That does the exact same thing that rewriting rules in your .htaccess would do, but with worse performance.

But hey, at least you didn't have to learn anything new, huh?

Please delete my account from this useless place.

All you did for a whole page is act coy about answering but not really answering -- pretending you're trying to help, but not really.

And then when I diverted back to what the original thread was about (because I could see the pointlessness in what you were doing), you had to get the last word in (sarcastically).

I am currently adding the redirects 1 by 1 using the plugin above.

I researched htaccess and regular expressions. I don't get them (not in the time I have to "learn" anyway).

I don't expect you to do it for me, if you don't want to -- but I at least expect you not to be a smart ass about it.

And quite frankly, if you were standing in front of me with that shitty, patronizing attitude, I'd slap you like a bitch.

I'm not joking.

So, again, get stuffed. Thanks for nothing you patronizing smart ass.

Archived