php libraries

glendango

I have been teaching myself xml manipulation as well as db queries to create a detailed search engine for users  ( a bit like rightmove uses to search through property and allow user to change e.g.. how many bedrooms or status of sold or available.. 

I could keep on this path for another few weeks but i cant help thinking there must be php function  library that will basically give me the scripts i need to set up a real estate website with all the functions i need for searching property ..

i dont mean wordpress either....  this is terrible experience and trying to glue the xml feeds into a parser and into a blog without some of the data being lost is annoying. 

i started using laravel a few weeks ago and with 1 line of code a login system was created using COMPOSER...

i thought this would be great..but on visiting composer i cant make head or tail of their  search bar  to even find what i'am looking for on the composer site.

Does what i'am looking for exist ?   

The site iam was hoping to find was:

www. here you go, all the code you need to make a modern web site in 2018 , all divided into handy folders  and clear explanations of what they do      .com  

so far i havent found anything that comes close....    

cheers. 

Composer is a dependency management tool.  If you have decided upon the use of a library or set of libraries, Composer handles locating those libraries, downloading them, and updating your project autoloader code so you can easily use the libraries.  In many cases libraries depend on other libraries, and Composer takes care of all that.

It has also been extended by some of the frameworks to provide some additional configuration capabilities.  It is not strictly speaking a magic tool that assembles your application top to bottom.

I'm not 100% clear on what you want to do with your searches, but that certainly is determined by the source and persistence of your data.  You referred to xml but I'm not clear if you are interested in xml purely because you get some data from xml or if you are actually trying to store all your data in xml format, but in any case, how a search feature works depends on the structure of your data.  

thx for your time but iam now equally confused..    Have you ever seen a search table / bar on a real estate property site?  

it uses functions to query the database or the xml file with xpath. 

where would you begin to search for these ready made functions ( granted i know i would have to fill in the gaps with my own data...

think of it more like this:

i want a hamburger.

I could make a hamburger ( function)

but macdonalds makes lots of ready made burgers..

so , iam looking for directions of how to get to macdonalds..... to eat..... a burger  / function....

MLS search functionality is (mostly) determined by the system serving the stream. If your client is using RETS, you can use PHPRets to interact with the database. If your client is using FlexMLS, you'll use the SparkAPI for PHP. Both are well documented and easy to use, though in my experience FlexMLS is significantly faster and offers more robust on-the-fly searching and sorting. Also note that even using one of these libraries, you'll have to write custom code to make it actually do anything.

Some sites have a cron set up to use one of the APIs above to download the day's MLS listings to a local database each night, at which point the filter, sort, and search functionality is all yours to design and develop.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:19 PM, glendango said:

"Composer is a dependency management tool."    

could you translate that for me... what does the actually mean in english do you think. thx

Quoting myself:

If you have decided upon the use of a library or set of libraries, Composer handles locating those libraries, downloading them, and updating your project autoloader code so you can easily use the libraries.  In many cases libraries depend on other libraries, and Composer takes care of all that.

A quick look and some searches with Packagist might help you understand this better.

To understand where composer came into play you have to understand the competition it was facing at the time, namely Ruby, Python and NodeJS.  Each of these languages has a dependency management tool. 

PHP had pretty much given up on the failure of PEAR and essentially had no component library ecosystem prior to the addition of namespaces.  Essentially in the bad old days, if I wrote a cool class library that let someone add e-commerce capabilities to their codebase, and I had classes like Store, Cart and Payment, these classes could easily collide with some other library that also had a class named 'Store' for example.  Namespaces fix these collisions by allowing the classes to exist inside a namespace. 

The big php CMS's like Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal were even more insular.  If there was a great Drupal library for handling tags, there was little to no chance you might be able to use that Drupal library/plugin with Joomla or Wordpress.  

A group of leading PHP developers and framework leads got together to address some of these problems as the PHP Framework Interoperability Group and set about to define some standards that might help with these problems.  The symfony project also did a lot of work in leading the way with their Symfony2 project, where they set out to do a ground up rewrite of their framework, breaking it into a number of core component libraries oriented around Dependency Injection.  

As Symfony2 began to gain traction, a couple of members of the Symfony community created Composer and Packagist so that PHP would have the same public library repository and tool for installing packages that the other languages I mentioned have. At the time a number of things came together to facilitate the success of Composer, including Symfony2 nearing 1.0 release, the emergence of git and Github as the defacto standard source code management tool and accompanying community, and PHP-FIG's publishing of PSR-0 which set out the standards for naming and organizing a class library (including Namespacing) so that these classes could be autoloaded.  Part of what Composer does is generate the autoloading code an application needs to use all the classes specified in the project Composer.json file.

All of these projects (and the creation of Laravel which was jump started by the Symfony2 components and took advantage of these new techniques and tools) managed to reinvigorate the PHP professional developer community and bring PHP back into the mix as a relevant platform for web development at a time where it was moribund and developers were moving on to other better designed and modern languages with active framework projects.  In 2018 the state of PHP development, tools, frameworks, and the core language technology has never been better.

Archived