Is there a way to convert Bitcoin to Satoshie and vice versa?

imgrooot

Apparently it's bad to use floats when working with bitcoin. But the API i'm using doesn't really give an option to convert Bitcoin to Satoshie or vice versa. https://www.block.io/api/simple/php

So I'm trying to figure out a way to do that function with PHP.

Here is the code I found that converts from Satoshie to Bitcoin.  My question is, how do I convert from Bitcoin to Satoshie.

function convertToBTCFromSatoshi($value) {
    $BTC = $value / 100000000 ;
    return $BTC;
}
function formatBTC($value) {
    $value = sprintf('%.8f', $value);
    $value = rtrim($value, '0') . ' BTC';
    return $value;
}
echo formatBTC(convertToBTCFromSatoshi(5000));

2 hours ago, requinix said:

This is what converts.

function convertToBTCFromSatoshi($value) {
    $BTC = $value / 100000000 ;
    return $BTC;
}

Do I need to say anything more?

2 hours ago, ginerjm said:

I may regret asking this but - are you sure about that?  Is going from a to b involves division, wouldn't the reverse involve multiplication?

Correct, the multiplication would do the reverse. Like this. 

function convertToSatoshi($value) {
    $SAT = $value * 100000000 ;
    return $SAT;
}

I was more worried about reversing the decimal part of the 2nd function, but I just realized that it's not needed to convert to Satoshie.

• 2 years later...

It all depends on how exactly you want to convert this currency and whether you want to automate this process. If you manually do this, then you can use cryptocurrency converters, fortunately they are very popular now. The main thing is to choose exactly the converter that will have real and positive reviews, otherwise you risk being deceived. I personally use this method, but I do it in order to convert the real money that I earn thanks to  [spammy link deleted] in cryptocurrency (I think you should not explain why I do this). It is not very difficult to find a really high-quality service that provides such services, but again, you need to be very careful when choosing, as the future of your money depends on it!

Edited by Barand

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.