Recommend using true/false for Boolean values?

NotionCommotion

MySQL cannot store Boolean values and thus I use 0/1.  Is there much benefit to cast them as Boolean immediately after querying the database, do whatever PHP processing is required, and then convert them back to 0/1 before writing to the database?  One benefit is I can type declare my arguments, but I am debating whether it is worth it.  Thanks

23 minutes ago, gw1500se said:

My SQL does accept the constants "TRUE" and "FALSE" if that helps.

Thank you.  I was unaware. Are you saying one can do $pdo->prepare($sql)->execute([123, true, false]); ?

6 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

PHP does inherently treat the MySQL values of 0 and 1 as true and false.  So what you are asking has already been answered.

I am not asking from a MySQL prospective but a PHP prospective.  In the past, I never explicitly declared variable argument and returned types, and found that it got me  in a lot of trouble.  I am asking whether it is good practice to perform boolval($mysqlOutput) or (bool) $mysqlOutput on data received from MySQL before processing the data with PHP.

Archived