Creating Setup

gally06

Hi Guys, 

Just in the process of learning PHP and I am wandering if I need to learn more when finished to complete a certain process. 

I apologise if this explanation is pretty naff but I cant think of how to word it, but here goes: 

So what I am looking at doing with a script is creating a place to display information about games, 

So what I am thinking is there will be a backend where I can kind of add a new game then inside there I can add news articles, videos, images etc. 

The one thing I cant wrap my head around is if I were to display like trophies for the games like the PS4 trophies, how this would work. 

So I imaging the backend to be like 'add a game button' then when I click that I get a setup page where I can enter the title, developer, age rating and so on. With the trophies obviously what I am thinking is a text are that will say how many trophies does the game have? 

So in there I enter let's say 20 then this will add me 20 slots in which I can enter the trophy title, description and points. So my question is when you are creating a form like this where it works off an action like me entering 20 and it producing 20 slots can all this be done with PHP or do I need to be using other code also? 

Hope that explanation is decent enough. 

Huge thank you for any advice in advance. 

It sounds more like you are asking about data storage than php programming. 

Not sure I understand this "trophy" conversation but it sounds like you are talking about awards won by the game's designers and you want to list them to let your viewers know about them.  So - for each game I would link that record to another table that has individual records for each game's awards/trophies.  Of course - if these awards are actually won by multiple games then you may want to just have a table of "trophies" and link those records to each game that has won one.  Two different schemes but very similar.

37 minutes ago, gally06 said:

So in there I enter let's say 20 then this will add me 20 slots in which I can enter the trophy title, description and points. So my question is when you are creating a form like this where it works off an action like me entering 20 and it producing 20 slots can all this be done with PHP or do I need to be using other code also? 

You could do it with PHP, but the more you learn and advance with web development the more you're going to need to know Javascript and understand things like AJAX.

One step at a time. Get the rest of your idea in place, the stuff you already know how to handle, then when you get to the trophies you can think about how to use the opportunity to expand your skillset.

13 hours ago, requinix said:

You could do it with PHP, but the more you learn and advance with web development the more you're going to need to know Javascript and understand things like AJAX.

One step at a time. Get the rest of your idea in place, the stuff you already know how to handle, then when you get to the trophies you can think about how to use the opportunity to expand your skillset.

Thank you so much for your reply, just so keen to learn and keep progressing and think I am being mighty ambitious with this project lol, but we all gotta have aims right. 

Archived