Matching number elements

Jayfromsandiego

Hello group.

I need some help with my code.

<?php

$a1 = array("line1"=>"1-2-3-10-14","line2"=>"1-2-3-10-34","line3"=>"1-2-7-16-35","line4"=>"1-2-3-17-19","line5"=>"2-5-11-15-32");
$a2 = array("inputnumber"=>"1-2-3-10-34");

$result = array_intersect($a1,$a2);
print_r($result);

?>

Right now, I can only search and find an exact match of all 5-Numbers. I want to code a PHP form that will take a (5-number string) as input and then compare that string against an array database of (5-number strings) to find all matching number occurrences for each “LINE 1 thru LINE 5”. 

For instance, if I were to type the 5-number string “1-2-3-10-34” as input.  The Output populated results would look like this ..

screen_shot.jpg

Working with those numbers as a string is proving to be a pain, isn't it? Then don't work with them as a string. Use an array, for both the input as well as the stored numbers. You can display them as a hyphenated string, but internally keep them as an array. explode() and implode() can help you convert between the two forms.

Then the problem is how to take an array of five numbers and check against other arrays of five numbers to find what they have in common. Fortunately there's a function for that.

Archived