create mp4 with screen recording

phppup

This is a first time effort to create a video of my local pc workstation screen.

Attempt #1 utilized an application provided in Windows 10 to create the MP4 file.

Attempt #2 was to convert a Powerpoint 2010 presentation into an MP4 file

Both seemed to go well, and produced files then when clicked independently on the desktop, will play their clip.

However, when called from a local webpage "No video with supported format" is the message displayed where the working video is expected.

<video width="400" controls>
  <source src="mov_bbb.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="mov_bbb.ogg" type="video/ogg">
  Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
</video>

<video width="400" controls>
  <source src="Presentation2.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="Presentation2.mp4" type="video/ogg">
  Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
</video>

I borrowed a video clip from W3 and it seems to work fine, which leads me to believe that either I am creating a damaged file or the file is not truly MP4.

The file PROPERTIES indicate it is MP4 in all instances.

Where did I go wrong?

I opened the webpage in both Firefox and Chrome and got the same result. 

I'm going to conclude that since these are the same browsers that played the video from W3 (both while at their URL and after saving the file locally) that it is not a browser issue.

How do I proceed regarding the codecs, or is their a simpler / more effective way to make a simple screen recording for use on a webpage?

Archived