using forms and post data like a router

jodunno

Hello, i am wondering about forms and post data. First, i want to get to the point: if i create a few hundred member only pages and use forms to submit the requested uri to a processing script for output, then is this method too much of a burden on a server? I think that Microsoft downloads works like this but they have deep pockets and staff. I don't want my site to be slow because of this method of routing.

I ask because i don't want to use frameworks. I shouldn't have to deal with framework bullies. I don't want a framework. I like my site the way it is but i can see benefits to routing. However, i don't want all traffic sent to an index either. I just thought about forms and post data to fetch header template, content file and footer template based upon the post data (which will be an internal pointer to the appropriate files). I figure that i can set extremely low limts to post data in Apache and php. I don't know if this concept creates a sort of self-inflicted dos attack or not.

hopefully someone can shed some light on the matter...

edit: i like the power of post processing. i can add a token to each form and use hash_equals with a session stored token. I can use a whitelist array. i can interact with a database to even store images with a token and so on and so forth. I think that alot of forums also use post data. i could be wrong.

Edited by jodunno

1 hour ago, jodunno said:

if i create a few hundred member only pages and use forms to submit the requested uri to a processing script for output, then is this method too much of a burden on a server?

No, it's not a burden. It's how 95% of the web works now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, requinix said:

No, it's not a burden. It's how 95% of the web works now.

Thank you, requinix. I don't know much about servers and load balancing. I assume that it is the same as a GET request as far as load is concerned but my lack of knowledge makes me wonder.

I remember you from a different forum. I jpoined a forum years ago and you helped me with something. I remember the name requinix. I asked a php question about regex, i think so. Anyway, your opinion is enough for me. So Thank you for helping me. I started building the forms today and everything is working thus far.

I hope that you have a good day.

5 hours ago, jodunno said:

Thank you, requinix. I don't know much about servers and load balancing. I assume that it is the same as a GET request as far as load is concerned but my lack of knowledge makes me wonder.

Yeah, the same. You could send GETs to one place and POSTs to another, if you wanted, if there was some technical reason to do so (which isn't to say I couldn't imagine some), but normally you wouldn't.

• Thanks 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.