Filtering the result of a query.....

shan_cool

Hi all,

I hav two set of rows for each employee.. but i need to show only one row for each employee based on the latest start date..... fo example i hav as

EmployeeName Project Name Start Date End Date

shan proj1 01-Jul-2002 03-Mar-2003

shan proj2 01-Feb-2003 31-Jul-2004

here i need to display only the second row.

my query is select EmployeeName, ProjectName,max(StartDate),EndDate frm emp_prj group by empid

but is mixing up the two rows and displaying... i need to do some thing in where condn... but i cant use max() in where condition. how to do it to display only the second row based on greatest startdate.

thx in advance

shan

India.

I can't test it now but you can give it a try

[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] EmployeeName, ProjectName,StartDate,EndDate FROM emp_prj GROUP BY empid ASC, StartDate DESC [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] EmployeeName, ProjectName, MAX(StartDate) AS MaxDate,EndDate FROM emp_prj GROUP BY empid ORDER BY empid ASC, MaxDate DESC [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

seems like this is still mixing

[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] EmployeeName, ProjectName, StartDate ,EndDate FROM emp_prj AS e1 WHERE StartDate=([span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] MAX(StartDate) FROM emp_prj e2 WHERE e2.empid=e1.empid ) GROUP BY empid [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

[!--quoteo(post=329992:date=Dec 23 2005, 12:34 PM:name=ryanlwh)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ryanlwh @ Dec 23 2005, 12:34 PM) 329992[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

what version of mysql are you using? it probably doesn't support subquery yet...

That sounds like the cause of the "syntax error" -- you'll have to use a temporary table to get around this in pre-MySQL 4.1.

hi,

Ths for reply,

The version which i am using is..

mysql-3.23.58-1

If i hard code the date in the where condition,it wrks fine.but if i write the inner select query in the where condition it says:

Your SQL-query has been executed successfully

but the output is not shown..

Thks in advance,

Shan.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.