Want to see PHP news on PHP Freaks?

I want to keep up to date on...  

4 members have voted

1. 1. I want to keep up to date on...

• New *stable* PHP releases
    • New *beta* PHP releases
    • Upcoming conferences
    • Potential RFCs (new features and changes) discussed on the PHP internals mailing list, in a sort of summary/digest form
  2. 2. ...and I think a good way to do it would be...

• Here on PHP Freaks, in a forum I can follow
    • With an RSS feed, because I already have a news reader app thing I use
    • By following php.net's own somewhat adequate feeds... so in other words I'm happy with the status quo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2019 at 11:19 PM

I'm feeling super productive right now and willing to create a burden of work for myself that I might regret later.

I think it would be interesting to have a source for PHP news and updates and other information, in a way that's easier to deal with than how things are now. My main focus was to produce a sort of regular digest of what happens on the PHP internals mailing list: anyone can follow it now... at least when the mailing list's subscribe function is working... but there can be a lot of emails to read through, so a summary would be nice. But maybe you're interested in conferences. Or new releases. Or something else, I don't know.

Some of those sources have existing RSS feeds you can watch. Maybe they're part of an existing feed that includes other stuff. Or perhaps there isn't a good way to get it besides manually keeping track yourself.

On top of that comes the main benefit of a forum: discussion. If subjects have a thread then people could comment on it, if they wanted - thinking specifically about PHP's RFCs.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's interesting that the main site's news feed has a pretty good news feed section in it, that I've fixed a few times and expanded to include a bunch of php news aggregator sites.  I still don't find the time to read any of those articles nor do I go to any of the sites from which they are syndicated, but maybe we have some visitors that do.  Of course I just looked at it, and it's not been updating since August, so something got broken with it again.

Your idea about the RFC group sounds pretty nice, although I do see articles about RFC activity on some of the other PHP sites from time to time.  It would be cool if some or all of whatever content you develop ended up on the facebook page, because we really don't seem to do much to work with that audience or get them into the forum.

3 hours ago, gizmola said:

Well it's interesting that the main site's news feed has a pretty good news feed section in it,

Oh yeah, we have an actual website I keep forgetting about...

How does the feed work? Cron and database? Fetch and cache? After having it cover all the sources we want, which may need some coding, can we edit it to support a query string filter, then have IPB import the feed into the forums? Besides the news aggregation here, the nice thing is that making them IPB threads would allow commentary.

3 hours ago, gizmola said:

Your idea about the RFC group sounds pretty nice, although I do see articles about RFC activity on some of the other PHP sites from time to time.  It would be cool if some or all of whatever content you develop ended up on the facebook page, because we really don't seem to do much to work with that audience or get them into the forum.

We have a Facebook? Huh. Okay. What can we use it for? Content promotion? Or is that a Twitter thing?

On 9/21/2019 at 11:11 PM, requinix said:

Oh yeah, we have an actual website I keep forgetting about...

We have a Facebook? Huh. Okay. What can we use it for? Content promotion? Or is that a Twitter thing?

Yes, content promotion would be the idea.  I can set you up as an admin for it if you want.   

As for the feed, it pulls rss feeds from a number of sites and caches them.  It's been quite a while but I have the source for the main site in bitbucket which I think you have access to.  

9 minutes ago, gizmola said:

Yes, content promotion would be the idea.  I can set you up as an admin for it if you want.

Nah, I've gone this long without having a Facebook account for myself, no need to start now.

As for the feed, it pulls rss feeds from a number of sites and caches them.  It's been quite a while but I have the source for the main site in bitbucket which I think you have access to.

Oh yeah, we have a git cloud account thing somewhere I keep forgetting about...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.