getting started with MicroPython on ESP 32 - steps to do

dil_bert

hello dear all  good day dear experts,

i am workin on getting started with MicroPython on ESP 32. 

i have read several postings here and in the net and tried to made up my mind - but some questions still remain. 

from what i allready have learned it is like so:  to get started with micropython development requires several steps 

the steps that i guess are needed: 

- first building the appropriate binaries for the platform - in my case for the ESP 32.
- second step: Creating A Virtual Environment (- were able to skip that step)
- third step: Setup Project Directory
- finally: installing systems like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and variants

so at the very beginning:  It is advisable - in the very preliminary steps - to create a virtual environment on the development system -- for me it is a ESP32 -  to separate the micropython build system from  the local python installation. since this is not absolutly mandatory we can skip the virtual environment setup if we are happy to create our build system directly on the host machine.

The next step will to  get the Setup of a Project Directory

At this point we will be in our virtual environment. this will set the output of our bash shell.  It should show in brackets the name of the active virtual environment like this:

(microPython) ~/virtalenv/microPython

Now  at this point ot the setup we should be able to create a project directory to hold our micropython files

mkdir project cd project

Note To deactivate the virtual environment we can type deactivate.  And to work on the virtual environment after it has been deactivated you

type: /> source virtalenv/microPython/bin/activate. 

This assumes that we have created the virtual environment with the name 'micropython'.
Now - were at the point to do some installation of systems like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and variants

The following packages that will need to be installed before we can compile and run MicroPython on the system:

- build-essential
- libreadline-dev
- libffi-dev
- git
- pkg-config (required at least in ubuntu 14.04)
- gcc-arm-none-eabi
- libnewlib-arm-none-eabi
- and others more 

question - is it true that i can skip the virtual environment setup? 

am i able to create the build system directly on the host machine too?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.