Can you protect a PHP page from others?

SaranacLake

18 minutes ago, maxxd said:

It could absolutely work.

For me, though, I'm not sure it'd be worth the extra overhead. After all, now you have to devise and code a way to track what page a user is on when she "closes" the book both when the user is and is not connected to the internet (the user could start reading at home, then continue in the car on a trip or something). And I know I always want bookmarks when reading technical docs, let alone highlights and whatnot.

Sounds like you are talking about an eBook.  Even if I just use a file(s), there wouldn't be bookmarking built in automatically, right?  (Bookmarking is probably another reason some people get snobbish about eBooks.)

18 minutes ago, maxxd said:

However, that's for me and my situation, which is obviously different than yours. I don't think you'll run into any major issues if you basically serialize your books into posts stored in a database, but as has been pointed out it's not really that great a boost to the security of the book itself. Could be a fun project to code, though 😁.

What do you mean by "serialize"?  😕

At this point if I put my book into MySQL it would be because it allows me to more easily store, manage, and manipulate the book for myself as webmaster and for my customers.  I have always been partial to database solutions, of course I wouldn't use MySQL if it didn't make good sense.

On a side note, one of the challenges when you are creating something that you've never done before is that you just don't know until you've built things and then can see if they are a good or not so good design.  But then that is why geeks like programming! 🙂

5 minutes ago, SaranacLake said:

Sounds like you are talking about an eBook.  Even if I just use a file(s), there wouldn't be bookmarking built in automatically, right?  (Bookmarking is probably another reason some people get snobbish about eBooks.)

You can add bookmarks to PDFs. It's in the left toolbar.

6 minutes ago, SaranacLake said:

What do you mean by "serialize"?

Basically, break up into chunks. It's not an exact description of what you're proposing, but my brain's a bit fried by many things right now and it was the only word that came to mind.

In all honesty, it sounds like it's a question of preference - kinda like storing images in a database using a blob. I'm not a fan of it personally, but some people are. Neither side is really right or wrong, just convicted.

9 minutes ago, SaranacLake said:

On a side note, one of the challenges when you are creating something that you've never done before is that you just don't know until you've built things and then can see if they are a good or not so good design.  But then that is why geeks like programming! 🙂

Too true!

12 hours ago, SaranacLake said:

How did you get the spacing to work on the web?

Monospaced font (courier) between <pre>..</pre> tags does the job, as does using the <> button in this forum.

12 hours ago, SaranacLake said:

although the columns you have under User shouldn't be there

Oops| Forgot to edit that one after copy/pasting.

• Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.