Showing customers their purchased PDF books

SaranacLake

I am working on a website which sells various content, including books/guides in an online format.  A lot of people - including here - have stated that they wouldn't make a purchase on my site if I didn't also offer a PDF version of books/guides.  (I guess more people read offline than I do personally?!)

Right now, I am working on the ecommerce portion so people can browse a catalog, choose a book/guide, add it to their cart, and check out.  (Just your textbook ecommerce metaphors.)

After making a purchase, when someone logs in, then they can navigate to a gallery which contains thumbnails representing all of the books they have purchased.  And by clicking on a given thumbnail, they will be taken to that particular online book which is a series of linked web pages protected from outsiders behind a paywall. 

I am comfortable with all of this, however I'm stuck on what to do with the PDFs...

First off, when someone is in the Product Catalog picking out books and guides, should I give them the chance to specify if they want a PDF version, or should I just give everyone that buys a book/guide both access to the online book/guide PLUS the PDF version as well?

Next, for customers who get a PDF, how should I deliver it to them?

Do I make the PDF available when they navigate to their online book?

Do I build a second gallery which only shows PDFs that have been purchased?

Do I leave links to the PDFs up indefinitely, or should I just offer a one-time download?  And if so, how would I go about that?

In summary, something that seems so simple actually is very confusing the more I think about it.  This is probably because I have never bought online books or PDFs before and so I don;t have any examples in my mind to go off of.

Could definitely use some advice here, and am hoping this won't be as difficult as it currently seems?!

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, SaranacLake said:

or should I just give everyone that buys a book/guide both access to the online book/guide PLUS the PDF version as well?

That's what I would expect.

14 minutes ago, SaranacLake said:

Next, for customers who get a PDF, how should I deliver it to them?

Give them a link to download the PDF file/chapters (perhaps zipped)

15 minutes ago, SaranacLake said:

Do I leave links to the PDFs up indefinitely, or should I just offer a one-time download?

If I paid for expect I would expect access any time. Have a "Your Library" page where they can go to and view or download (as they want) stuff that the purchased.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.