Broadband speed

Recently I have had problems with my broadband speed dropping conderably and there seems to be a strong correlation (causation?) between the speed and if I am connected to this site.

When I connect to PHPFreaks the linespeed drops to single figures. Close the browser tab and test the speed again and it's back to normal

image.png.6aa579adb1371e53603358ee681da7fc.png

Seems like something in your page is hogging all my broadband.

The only activity appears to be an ajax request to check for updates every 60 seconds which takes around 140ms and transfers about 0.5K so it's a puzzle. Yet the effect is consistent - the speed plummets when Freaks is open.

Would "Connection: keep-alive" in the request header have this effect, or is it alive only until the reponse is received?

image.thumb.png.9ffd07cdc392781bebe7fa79bdf3ddbb.png

2 minutes ago, Barand said:

Would "Connection: keep-alive" in the request header have this effect, or is it alive only until the reponse is received?

Keep-Alive keeps the connection open for more requests; if there aren't any within some interval one of the sides will close it, and the client will open another next time one's needed. It's to help keep down TCP connection overheads when the browser wants to load a lot of things (CSS, images, etc) at once. It shouldn't have any impact on bandwidth.

It shouldn't. An open connection isn't using any bandwidth - other than small periodic keepalive TCP packets, if any. There's no way it would account for ~30Mbps, and I can't think of a way that one or two open connections would interfere that much with your other connections.

Like I said, use your browser and OS tools to get more detailed and specific information.

The plot thickens....

The above timings were using Firefox browser. I just did the same exercise using MS Edge browser ...

image.png.ae76b4407e25c115300fb166b52e7739.png

so it looks like it's the way Firefox handles your page

EDIT: Results using Chrome same as with MS Edge, so looks like Firefox is the culprit.

Edited by Barand

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.