Google geolocation

ajetrumpet

i found the following code here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/409999/getting-the-location-from-an-ip-address

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>
<script>
contry_code = google.loader.ClientLocation.address.country_code
city = google.loader.ClientLocation.address.city
region = google.loader.ClientLocation.address.region
</script>

will this work to get location info?

Edited by ajetrumpet

It will get location info, but not necessarily the correct info. For me, it returned

• Region: West Riding of Yorkshire
  • City : Salford.

The country is correct. However I do not live in Salford or the West Riding of Yorkshire. Also, Salford is in Lancashire, not in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

I'd class it as a "Failed".

(Moved to new topic)

45 minutes ago, gw1500se said:

IP address locations are based on the ISP location not the assigned user location.

My results could be right then - there is the possibility that my ISP is in Salford.

As for the region, it could be Google has a Londoner's view of England where anywhere beyond the end of their Northern underground line is "the North" (beware, here be dragons!)

For the record, if you're dealing with mobile devices then you can get GPS information - if the user allows you to do so. Non-mobile devices will give you information according to the IP address (user still has to approve), which will be more or less the same as the geolocation version.

Basically, geolocation is only as good as a country and state. City is hit or miss.

???  why do you say that?  my words indicate nothing of the sort.  they want it as easy as possible.  don't most small business people?  they don't have time to figure that crap out, nor do they care to.

Edited by ajetrumpet

he's not doing it for that purpose Barand.  you should know, u gave me the correct script!  he wants to know where his visitors are coming from.  i regularly check that report and there are plenty of visits from google's cloud, google's bots, ms's bots and us cellular's company as well, which is our cell phone carrier.

10 minutes ago, ajetrumpet said:

he wants to know where his visitors are coming from.

I was thinking you were using

city = google.loader.ClientLocation.address.city

which just shows location of current user (or user's proxy)

10 minutes ago, ajetrumpet said:

are you still running this consultancy?

If anyone ever contacts it. It hasn't happened yet. I was thinking of contacting the Guiness Book of Records as the world's least visited site.

lol, nice!  you have yet to attract ONE customer!?  you've never sold anything?  i don't even have a website and i've done plenty of individual contracts!  and you mite as well contact them.  they have records for just about everything imaginable.

Edited by ajetrumpet

actually no i didn't.  i wasn't hired for PHP.  nor was i hired for web application work.  but microsoft technologies suck, so he asked me what was available in the open source world.  small business people don't have a ton of money to spend while they are in the early stages of business, thus he asked if I would learn it to produce some small projects.  and now I will develop a mobile app for the same guy.  that will be a huge undertaking.  i'm really not looking forward to it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.