Sign in to follow this  
dil_bert

which server-conditions do we need to have to be able  (and ready ) for the autmatic-plugin installation - through the backend?

hello dear Experts,

i use wp for quite a long time - but on my server-setup i am not able to install the plugins automatically. 
which server-conditions do we need to have to be able  (and ready ) for the autmatic-plugin installation - through the backend

this article (below) does not help really...: 

Installing a WordPress Plugin ::  All WordPress Plugins install in two ways. Automatic and manual.

cf. https://lorelle.wordpress.com/2007/02/11/how-to-install-configure-and-use-wordpress-plugins/

To automatically install a WordPress Plugin, you must have the following FTP access information ready.
Server Hostname for FTP access
FTP Username (not the same as your WordPress password)
FTP Password
Connection Type (FTP, FTPS (SSL) )
Go to Plugins > Add New and enter the name or search term to find the WordPress Plugin you wish to add.
To view information about the Plugin, installation help, applicable WordPress versions, etc., click Details under the Plugin name.
To install the Plugin, click Install under the Plugin name.
When WordPress asks, enter the above access information and proceed.

If the WordPress Plugin installs correctly, the resulting screen will notify you that the Plugin is installed and awaiting activation. If you wish to activate it, click Activate. If you wish to delay, leave the page.

cf. https://lorelle.wordpress.com/2007/02/11/how-to-install-configure-and-use-wordpress-plugins/

so the question is: which server-conditions do we need to have to be able  (and ready ) for the autmatic-plugin installation - through the backend?

love to hear from you

hello dear all - after some musings and with some googeling i found out that this is just doable. 

i found some helping texts and some HowTos: eg. this: how to automatically update WordPress plugins. Now i want to  share this findings with all those which might have been looking for the same help as i was doing.  
background: almost every day we have to update a plugin. the question is: how to enable automatic updates for WordPress plugins....and furthermore there are even more options: we can even exclude some plugins from automatic updates.

as allways: i want to share everything i found.

some preliminary settings are the following: 

- Permissions in the wordpress tree: 755 on directories, 644 on files.
- Ownership of files: The same user under which PHP is running

Once we have that, WP is able to update itself. By default, that means it will do minor update (e.g., 5.2.3 to 5.2.4), but not major ones (5.2.x to 5.3.x), nor will it auto-update plugins.

some helpful links We can add constants to wp-config.php for core updating. See https://wordpress.org/support/article/editing-wp-config-php/#disable-wordpress-core-updates.

For auto-updating themes and plugins, see https://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-enable-automatic-updates-for-wordpress-plugins/

Also a  good read https://wordpress.org/support/article/editing-wp-config-php/#wordpress-upgrade-constants 

here some more ideas & thoughts - the basics for the job:  How to Enable Automatic Updates for WordPress Plugins

By default WordPress can automatically update itself when a security or minor release is available. For major releases, you have to initiate the update yourself. You also have to install plugin and theme updates yourself. This is pretty important: Keeping the WordPress site updated is crucial for security and stability of the site. Same goes for all plugins and themes installed on the website: conclusion: we need to install updates for themes and plugins to get new features and fixes.

WordPress updates
Some users find it a bit distracting, that whenever they login there is an update available for one or more plugins. What if you could allow trusted developers to auto-update plugins similar to WordPress.

Setting up Automatic Update for All WordPress Plugins:  we can set WordPress to automatically install all plugin updates 
while (and by)  simply adding a few lines of php-code to

a. -  the theme’s functions.php file or
b. -  a site-specific plugin.

add_filter( 'auto_update_plugin', '__return_true' );

This litte and tiny filter says WordPress automatic updater to automatically install plugin updates when they’re available. Besides that there is even more possible: If one  also wants to automatically update his themes, then he can add another code like the following:

add_filter( 'auto_update_theme', '__return_true' );

How to Automatically Install Updates for Some Plugins in WordPress: If there are a few plugins that are updated more frequently, then you may want to just enable automatic updates for those plugins. Another situation is when you don’t want to update specific plugins.

More ways and options - more ideas to do this job ob auto-updating the wordrpess-itself, the plugins and themes: 
in order to enable auto-update wordpress core, plugins and themes. In file wp-config.php I should be able to do this while i add the following pice of code:

define( 'AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED', false );
define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', true );

Also in file /wp-includes/functions.php

And this settings do not upgrade core, plugins and themes to newest version.

Also there even more options - eg. we can make  use  of the following plugins e.g:

- Easy Updates Manager
- Companion Auto Update
- Simple Automatic Updates
- This plugins do not work for me. 

discussion ot the optons:  but some friends told me to do the following:  i have to do the setting the code in the wp-config:

define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', true );
//this is by default false

and add this to  the functions.php

// Disable dev core update
add_filter( 'allow_dev_auto_core_updates', '__return_false' );
// Enable Plugin auto update

The first line enables all core updates, and the second line disable the dev core update.

and subsequently i should also 

- make shure that the file permissions match on our server!
- if this is not working, we have to look at the systen error-log and especially have a look at the output

what do you say - what is the  best way to  do this job !? Love to hear from you  - i now will try out several ways and methods - and i come back here to report all the findings -  as allways: i want to share everything i found.

have a great day

Edited by dil_bert