Need help with functions.php file on my wordpress site

kiko12122

Hello everyone,
I am not sure if I am supposed to post this here but I have a problem with a php file of my wordpress site.
Let me insert the code becaus I have no idea what is the problem -     $file_data = fread( $fp, 8 * 'KB_IN_BYTES' );  where the problem shows

function get_file_data( $file, $default_headers, $context = '' ) {
    // We don't need to write to the file, so just open for reading.
    // Pull only the first 8 KB of the file in.
    $file_data = fread( $fp, 8 * 'KB_IN_BYTES' ); 
    // PHP will close file handle, but we are good citizens.
    // Make sure we catch CR-only line endings.
    $file_data = str_replace( "\r", "\n", $file_data );

/**
     * Filters extra file headers by context.
     * The dynamic portion of the hook name, `$context`, refers to
     * the context where extra headers might be loaded.
     * @since 2.9.0
     * @param array $extra_context_headers Empty array by default.
     */

Hello,
Well the problem is my site isnt working and many errors appear and the source of that error is always linked to line 5700     $file_data = fread( $fp, 8 * 'KB_IN_BYTES' ); ee in my wordpress files. Sorry If I sound confusing to you but here are some of the errors. One of the error is fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in1761402736_siteproblem2.thumb.JPG.75693ba974966a021265f5eadc74b38e.JPG

You have this comment...

1 hour ago, kiko12122 said:

// We don't need to write to the file, so just open for reading

but you don't get around to actually opening the file - the comment won't do it for you. Therefore in the next line $fp has not been defined.

1 hour ago, kiko12122 said:

$file_data = fread( $fp, 8 * 'KB_IN_BYTES' ); 

Further, you have put 'KB_IN_BYTES' inside quotes thus making it a string value (which has a numeric value of 0).

So I guess the problem is in trying to read 0 bytes from a file that doesn't exist.

And what is the comment about being "good citizens"? You don't close it either.

(Has KB_IN_BYTES been defined as constant anywhere?)

Wordpress has its own file handler (wp_filesystem), which is the official way to deal with the file system in WP. However, WP developers will often recommend you use the database to store things – probably because they feel it is more secure. But, the file system is sometimes a better choice.

Many WP developers will not like it if you use bare file- functions such as file_get_contents in PHP. I personally do not mind. In fact, I would like to warn against wp_filesystem, since it does not seem to handle concurrency and file locking, which means data can be lost if two users tries to access a file at the same time. Reading is typically not a problem, but can be if someone happen to write to a file at the same time as a file-read.

wp_filesystem also introduce other problems, such as prompting users for credentials to upload files via FTP if they do not have write permissions on the server. That's not a desired behavior, so you should first check for write permissions, and then present users with an error if permissions are insufficient.

Instead of using functions.php, consider making a plugin or using the Code Snippets plugin, as it will be easier to maintain.

Edited by JacobSeated

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.