Sign in to follow this  
dil_bert

which is the correct way to use WordPress Multisite With Different Domain Names?

good day dear friends, 

question: which is the correct way to use Wordpress Multisite With Different Domain Names - without a plugin?

i plan to work with WordPress multisite, but I want to be able to use my own names. Well this can be done with wordpress-plugins - but i want to try to setup all - without the usage of a plugi!

question: So what is the correct way to map bare domains without www to a multisite install? Are plugins required? Should this all be handled in web server config using rewrites in the .htaccess?

here some musings to set up the tactics: For example my main site is called bar.com. If I want to add a new site to my multisite network it's gonna be called foo.bar.com. I want it to be newsite.com without example. Is there a way to achieve this?

the main question is this:  how to write the .htaccess-file for that above mentioned approach?

I heard about domain mapping with a plugin, but I dont know if this is relevant to this question. If it is relevant I would like to know what exactly this is i suppose Multi-site wasn't intended to be used for TLD'
So first of all, i do a install of WordPress, then i arrange the setup of multisite, and configure it as a subdomain network configuration.
Here's a sample configuration for the wp-config.php file in the base directory of the WordPress installation:

/* Multisite */
define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );
define( 'MULTISITE', true );
define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true );
define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'www.primary-domain.com' );
define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );`

my tactic is like the following: 

guess that i need:

- one Apache Virtual Host for the primary domain in the network and that i have to configure that virtual host with alias domains. 
- Each alias domain being one of the additional sites in the network.

However - there is more: how do i end up tweaking the setup, 
- do i need each domain's DNS to resolve to the same web server, and 
- each domain to be pointed to the same directory the primary domain is installed with WordPress. 

Each domain in the network needs to point to the same web server with DNS records and share the same directory path for the files used by WordPress.
configured and setup properly as discussed above. 

the wordpress-adminstration-part in the WP-backend: 

there is a WordPress administration area where i have to continue the configuration: 
- Network administration area to add a new site into the network.
- When i go to add a site, it will enforce me to add the website as if it were a sub domain under our primary domain. 
- Once the site has been added to the list of sites in the network. 
- i can edit that specific site - eg putting the actual domain name for this TLD site.

but how to write the .htaccess-file for that above mentioned approach?

i need to add a basic configuration for the .htaccess file as a subdomain configuration in the base directory of the WordPress installation; 

look forward to hear form you