Sign in to follow this  
dil_bert

a pragmatic way to setup SMTP settings programmatically with the wp_mail function?

hello dear experts, good day, 

at the early planning stage of a new project i muse bout the mailing-options. in other words - we work on a pragmatic way to setup SMTP settings programmatically with the wp_mail function? - without any need of a SMTP-Plugin. 

i think about the easiest way to setup SMTP settings programmatically with the wp_mail function? Well  to be frank - i think  i can live witout a special SMTP plugin - at least i can try out to work with the native options and functions that are on board of WP. The question is: can i figure out to configure  a solution that runs as - let us say "best practice" by using the wp_mail function. 

at a first glance - if we have a peek on the implementation of wp_mail function, we will see that this function uses PHPMailer class to send emails. Also we could notice that there is hard coded function call $phpmailer->IsMail();, This setup sets to use PHP's mail() function. That said - we see that with this  settings  we can't use SMTP settings with it. If we want to - then we have to call isSMTP function of PHPMailer-class. Furthermore - we need to set our SMTP settings as well. To achieve it we need to get access to $phpmailer variable. And here its it where the phpmailer_init comes into play. The action which is called before sending an email. So we can do what we need by writing our action handler:

The action handler goes like so: 

add_action( 'phpmailer_init', 'wpse949800099999170_phpmailer_init' );
function wpse9498170_phpmailer_init( PHPMailer $phpmailer ) {
    $phpmailer->Host = 'your.smtp.server.here';
    $phpmailer->Port = 25; // could be different
    $phpmailer->Username = 'our_username@example.com'; // if required
    $phpmailer->Password = 'ourpassword'; // if required
    $phpmailer->SMTPAuth = true; // if required
    // $phpmailer->SMTPSecure = 'ssl'; // enable if required, 'tls' is another possible value

$phpmailer->IsSMTP();
}

SMTP Exceptions: in default WordPress doesn't give us any debug output. 
Instead it just returns FALSE if an error occurred. 

Well - what can we do to fix this. 

above all - i am very happy to be here in this great community 😉

Edited by dil_bert