asynch websites with PHP and js

ajetrumpet

does anyone have an example of new code that is used this day in age for combining js and PHP to produce dynamic content on a webpage?  I have looked at this from w3schools:

https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ajax_database.asp

but I believe that XMLHttpRequest is really old.  If I rememeber my reading right, it was replaced by fetch() a long time ago.  I think i understand everything that is on that tutorial page, but I would love to see a video tutorial on this subject.  can anyone here point me to such a resource?

Edited by ajetrumpet

XMLHttpRequest may be old, but it is not going away anytime soon.

The main problem I had was the asynchronous "callback" hell of JavaScript, especially coming from a PHP background. You can not easily return the result of a HTTP request to the calling script. Instead, you have to use a callback function to deal with the response data.

Afaik, fetch makes this easier, since it can wait for a "promise" to be fulfilled (a server responding). I Have not really used it much, but now that I got XMLHttpRequest working with callbacks, I am not planning on changing it. Probably should look into it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.