git question

maxxd

Hey y'all.

I know this isn't the right forum for this but didn't see a better spot so mods, please feel free to move this.

I've not really had to deal with merge/pull requests all that much in the past, but I've now started in a position where I sometimes have to check what branches have been merged into another specific (in this case, RC) branch. I'm not really finding anything in my searches that leads me to believe it's possible - `git log {branch} --merges` doesn't really show what I'm looking for, nor does `git branch --list -a --merged`, and GitLab isn't terribly helpful so far as I can see.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to see it in git, or has anybody found another way to see merged branches by overall merges that I'm overlooking? And I don't think simply searching for the release tag will work in this situation as we merge into the tagged RC branch manually right now so I can't just look for `rc_{whatever}` tags on all branches - that tag is only on the RC branch, and looking through twelve million individual commits doesn't seem like a ton of fun.

12 hours ago, benanamen said:

Do you mean something like this?

Actually that's exactly what we're doing right now - we open GitKraken and try to follow the graph. Don't get me wrong - it works, I just personally find it a bit frustrating. It's probably a moot point as we're looking into moving to a scrum process in the new year; so theoretically we should know at all times what's being worked on for the next release. However, I have to assume that scrum doesn't always work as advertised, and I can see the possibility of losing track if we have a single release that spans multiple scrums. Looking at it further though, I guess it's possible that creating pull requests from the feature branch(es) into master, then creating another pull request from master into production could give me the trail I'm looking for. At least I can see in GitLab the branches that were merged into master after the last merge from master into production...

Just kinda wish there was an audit view on a branch to easily show any branches that have been merged into the current one.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.