I have the following code...

While(($file = readdir($handle)) !== FALSE){
	   if(is_dir($file))){
	      echo "$file - Directory<br>";
	   }else{
	      echo "$file - Not Directory<br>";
       }
    }

And I have the following files/folders...

2019-holiday-party
	     _photos
	     _thumbnails
	     xxx
	     IMG_2205.png

I get these results...

. - Directory
	.. - Directory
	_photos - Not Directory
	_thumbnails - Not Directory
	IMG_2205.png - Not Directory
	xxx - Not Directory

Why do the directories "_photos" and "_thumbnails" and "xxx" get reported as "Not Directory"???

Also, where does the "." (dot) and ".." (dot dot) come from??

Edited by SaranacLake

If you really don't know what . and .. are then you need to research the very basics of how every single filesystem in existence works.

$file is not a full path to the file. It's just the name of the file. So the question is whether you think is_dir("_photos") should say true or false.

6 minutes ago, requinix said:

If you really don't know what . and .. are then you need to research the very basics of how every single filesystem in existence works.

$file is not a full path to the file. It's just the name of the file. So the question is whether you think is_dir("_photos") should say true or false.

I understand that "." is current directory and ".." is one directory up, but I still don't see why my code includes the same directory (recursive) or the directory above it?!

"_photos" and "_thumbnails" and "xxx" are folders in the parent directory, so YES, I expected my code to flag them as such...

8 hours ago, SaranacLake said:

I understand that "." is current directory and ".." is one directory up, but I still don't see why my code includes the same directory (recursive) or the directory above it?!

"_photos" and "_thumbnails" and "xxx" are folders in the parent directory, so YES, I expected my code to flag them as such...

readdir() returns all the "items" in a directory - that includes the '.' and '..', because that is how the file system works. As to your second comment, I think you did not understand @requinix's response. From the 1st line of the description in the manual for readdir()

Returns the name of the next entry in the directory.

It just returns a string value for the name of the entity. Then, if you look at the manual for is_dir() it states

is_dir ( string $filename ) : bool

Tells whether the given filename is a directory.

filename
Path to the file. If filename is a relative filename, it will be checked relative to the current working directory. If filename is a symbolic or hard link then the link will be resolved and checked. If you have enabled safe mode, or open_basedir further restrictions may apply.

Is it clear now? You will need to provide the FULL PATH to the file/directory name that is returned from readdir(). Alternatively, you could use glob() instead of readdir and it will return the full path. Not seeing the code to create $handle, I assume you are providing a path to the directory. You would need to append that to the beginning of the file name in order to correctly test using is_dir. However, I think glob() would be a better solution for what you need.

Edited by Psycho

7 hours ago, Psycho said:

readdir() returns all the "items" in a directory - that includes the '.' and '..', because that is how the file system works. As to your second comment, I think you did not understand @requinix's response. From the 1st line of the description in the manual for readdir()

It just returns a string value for the name of the entity. Then, if you look at the manual for is_dir() it states

I got it working now - thanks for the clarification!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.