PHP - Get Machine name

Fratozzi

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get the name of the machine in use. If I use this feature locally, it works.

function visitor_machine_name(){
        $machine_name = gethostbyaddr($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);

return $machine_name;
    }

But as soon as I try it on an online server I get the DNS name back, like this:

mob-3-91-125-82.net.vodafone.it

What can I do?

1 minute ago, Fratozzi said:

I don't have any software installed on my pc regarding DropBox, yet it gets my device name. If I connect to their site

It is not possible for some website on the internet to get the name of your computer. I don't know what you're doing or looking at.

2 minutes ago, requinix said:

It is not possible for some website on the internet to get the name of your computer. I don't know what you're doing or looking at.

what I need is the name of the device I am using to access a site.  for example PC-Fra.  Anyway thank you for replying 😊

1 minute ago, Fratozzi said:

what I need is the name of the device I am using to access a site.  for example PC-Fra.  Anyway thank you for replying 😊

Then I was understanding you correctly. It is not possible. Not through PHP or Javascript or anything other than installing software on the user's computer.

On 1/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, requinix said:

Then I was understanding you correctly. It is not possible. Not through PHP or Javascript or anything other than installing software on the user's computer.

In case using $ _SERVER ["REMOTE_ADDR"]; to get the name of the dns how can I remove all those characters and know only the final part? For example:

With that function I get this:

mob-3-91-125-82.net.vodafone.it
host86-197-dynamic.3-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it
93-32-55-29.ip32.fastwebnet.it
mob-5-90-154-87.net.vodafone.it

I would like this instead:
net.vodafone.it
retail.telecomitalia.it
ip32.fastwebnet.it

That should be the name of the internet provider I connect to.
Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.