target attribute in php hyperlink

Wal-Wal-2

I have researched the subject and found a few 'solutions' for my problem but cannot get it to work (I looked at ones in this forum).
I have php while loop that uses variables for db values and wrapped inside <a></a> tags that work as desired. What I want to have the link open in a new tab.
Here is the code I am working with:

<?php
	//loop to collect and output db data as hyperlink with target="_blank"
		while($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result)) {
		//output data from each row
		echo "<a href='".$row[link]."'>&diams;&nbsp;&nbsp; ".$row[title]."</a><br>";
		}
?>

requinix - I have been working on this for a couple of days. I have researched and tried many many options to no avail. I just saw Barand's latest post with an updated corrected code. Thank you for following up.

I tried Barand's code and it worked great. I never thought about putting it in the code there.

Edited by Wal-Wal-2
Confirmation that code worked.

ginerjm - Thank you. I am not sure why the {}'s are around the array ( {$row['link']} ) code. I am really interested in learning. If you can, and it is appropriate here, can you explain it to me? I am new to the forum so not sure what the protocol is. Thanks again.

The braces are required when embedding complex variable names (an array element) inside other things.  Without them you would get a syntax error.  You could use concatenation (dots) to avoid this but with the braces you can skip the concatenating and just compose one contiguous string here.  

The thing I wanted you to note was the quotes on the array indices.  A Key thing!

• Great Answer 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.