dil_bert

the new TwentyTwenty Theme: how to create a child-theme

hello dear folks at php-freaks

hope you are well and all is okay 

last week i have had a very first view on the new TwentyTwenty Theme.  this is obviousliy a very very smart theme - developed very sustainable.  The links to the theme-support are here: 

overview: https://wordpress.org/theme/twentytwenty/
support: https://wordpress.org/support/theme/twentytwenty/

first of all - to do the first steps - it is a good idea to create a Child Theme for the TwentyTwenty Theme

why a child theme: well a child theme it is stored in a separate directory from the parent theme,  And furthermore each of the themes comes with its own style.css and functions.php files.  The good thing: we can add other files as necessary, but those two are the bare minimum required for a child theme to function correctly. Well if we are using the relevant .css and .php files, then we are able to modify everything from styling, layout parameters  to actual coding and scripts used by a child theme. And that is just a pretty good thing. 
This is so good that even if the attributes for the theme-dsigns aren’t present in its parent theme.

So subsequently it is like so: imagine a visitor loads our website, then a process starts 

The WordPress does follow the process: it does load the sub-theme, and after that step it takes care for fully unleashing the theme:  That means it fills the missing styles and functions using parts from the so called master-theme. 
Finally we get the best out of your customized design without sacrificing the whole system  - that means the theme’s core functionality.

Well - if it comes to child themes : There are plenty of good tutorails out there, such as

- extended guides which are covering the topic ,"How to Create a Child Theme in WordPress".
- vids that teach the topic. 
- ideas that help clearing and in the forums. 

I for one collected some ideas to creatde my very first child theme for TwentyTwenty!
The first step that is necessary is to create a new directory under wp-content/themes and afterwards (that means subsequently to name it something like twentytwenty-child)
or whatever we may  find appropiate.  Well this is up to you... 

Now we can go ahead and head over to the following folder:  wp-content/themes/twentytwenty-child

And then we can create a new style.css file with the following heading:

/*
Theme Name: My Twenty Twenty Child Theme
Theme URI: https://mydomain-name.com
Description: A child theme for Twenty Twenty.
Author: Your Name
Author URI: https://mydomain-name.com
Template: twentytwenty
Version: 3.0
License: GNU General Public License v2 or later
License URI: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
*/

so far so good:  after this preliminary first step we go ahead and we jut include the parent theme’s stylesheet into the folder  In the same directory, create the following functions.php file:

<?php
/* enqueue scripts and style from parent theme */        
function twentytwenty_styles() {
    wp_enqueue_style( 'parent', get_template_directory_uri() . '/style.css' );
}
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'twentytwenty_styles');

now we put the files up to the server - we take our favorite ftp-client. then we

navigate to public_html -> wp-content -> themes folder.

then - at this point we just create a new folder - the we do while we are clicking its icon on the upper menu.  After this we just have to enter our child theme’s name and click the so called  create-button. Be aware and note:  It’s highly recommended not to use the parent theme’s name 

Finally and  as the very very last step of the process: 
Now go to Appearance → Themes and activate our Child Theme. 

here we can customize the theme - without breakin the parent theme twentytwenty..

Edited by dil_bert

So...is there an actual question here...is this just a blog post? If it's the latter, please refrain from posting things like this here. Unless someone specifically asks about how child-themes work in WordPress. Even if they ask, it would be better to point them to the WordPress manual.

hi there dear CyberRobot 

this was just the idea of blogging a item.. cf this one here: https://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78979&p=267254#p267254

the topic of today: WP-Twenty-twenty: the new standard-theme: a dive into this this is a a dive into the new WordPress Twenty Twenty Theme: this text is all about the new WordPress default theme twenty twenty that will guide you to know what can be done with it: i hope that it might be useful for some of you 

i think that my mission is to spread the word ...

i am lookin for places to do that... 

let us see at some research result in the area of open-source-research.. - based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology

i think that open source development does just need this: cf Andrea Hemetsberger   "Who is spreading the word?  
The influence of extraversion and openness on consumer passion and evangelism," Proceedings of the AMA winter educator's conference, 2007, San Diego,  forthcoming. cf: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234023910_Who_is_spreading_the_word_The_influence_of_extraversion_and_openness_on_consumer_passion_and_evangelism

besides that - you might have a closer look at the collected papers here:

sic: https://flosshub.org/biblio  

- Andrea Hemetsberger
- van Hippel
- David Souza et al
- Andreas Neuss

Managing Information Quality in Virtual Communities of PracticeAndreas Neus: in this paper we review how the new economics of information enable a new paradigm of collaboration. Spearheaded by the Open Source community, this evolutionary approach to collaborative content creation is a way to address information quality in virtual communities of practice. Based on experience gained in community projects, a few simple steps toward improving the quality of information in virtual communities are presented and illustrated.

Seeking the Source: Software Source Code as a Social and Technical Artifact David De Souza, C, Froehlich, J, Dourish, P
https://flosshub.org/232
in distributed software development, two sorts of dependencies can arise. The structure of the software system itself can create dependencies between software elements, while the structure of the development process can create dependencies between software developers. Each of these both shapes and reflects the development process. Our research concerns the extent to which, by looking uniformly at artifacts and activities, we can uncover the structures of software projects, and the ways in which development processes are inscribed into software artifacts. We show how a range of organizational processes and arrangements can be uncovered in software repositories, with implications for collaborative work in large distributed groups such as open source communities.

From a Firm-Based to a Community-Based Model of Knowledge Creation: The Case of the Linux Kernel Development We propose a new model of knowledge creation in purposeful, loosely coordinated, distributed systems, as an alternative to a firm-based one. Specifically, using the case of the Linux kernel development project, we build a model of community-based, evolutionary knowledge creation to study how thousands of talented volunteers, dispersed across organizational and geographical boundaries, collaborate via the Internet to produce a knowledge-intensive, innovative product of high quality. By comparing and contrasting the Linux model with the traditional/commercial model of software development and firm-based knowledge creation efforts, we show how the proposed model of knowledge creation expands beyond the boundary of the firm. Our model suggests that the product development process can be effectively organized as an evolutionary process of learning driven by criticism and error correction. We conclude by offering some theoretical implications of our community-based model of knowledge creation for the literature of organizational learning, community life, and the uses of knowledge in society.
"we study the Linux development community mainly by analyzing the artifacts that the Linux developers have produced. A key output of knowledge creation activities is the artifacts. The most important artifact, of course, is the Linux operating system source code." "Along with the source code, a "Credits" text file and a "MAINTAINERS" text file are distributed to the users." "An equally important artifact is the development activities archived in the Linux-kernel mailing list"..."Using the weekly Linux-kernel email archive for years 1995 to 2000 as a key source of data, we focus on people who have sent at least one email to the Linux-kernel mailing list. ""In addition, we examine the developers' demographic distributions, working patterns, and motivations by analyzing the raw data from an on-line survey"

Hemetsberger, Andrea (2006), "Understanding Consumers' Collective Action on the Internet: A Conceptualization and Empirical Investigation of the Free- and Open-Source Movement," Research Synopsis, Cumulative Habilitation at the University of Innsbruck, April, 2006, 66 pages. pdf https://www.hemetsberger.cc/publications/pdf/habilitation.pdf

see also Hemetsberger Artikel: Hemetsberger, Andrea Matzler, Kurt, Elisabeth A. Pichler (2007), "Who is spreading the word? The influence of extraversion and openness on consumer passion and evangelism," Proceedings of the AMA winter educator's conference, 2007, San Diego, forthcoming.
Hemetsberger, Andrea (2003), "Understanding consumers' collective action on the Internet - a definition and discussion of relevant concepts for research," abstract published in: Punam A. Keller and Dennis W. Rook (eds.) Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.30, 161.
Hemetsberger, Andrea (2002), "Fostering cooperation on the Internet: social exchange processes in innovative virtual consumer communities," extended abstract published in: Susan M. Broniarczyk and Kent Nakamoto (eds.), Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.29, 354-356.
Hemetsberger, Andrea and Rik Pieters (2001), "When Consumers Produce on the Internet: An Inquiry into Motivational Sources of Contribution to Joint-Innovation," in: Christian Derbaix et al. (eds.) Proceedings of the Fourth International Research Seminar on Marketing Communications and Consumer Behavior, La Londe, 274-291.
Hemetsberger, Andrea (1999), "Explaining the social basis for the emergence of extreme activity attachment - a social representations perspective," Proceedings of the 28th annual conference of the EMAC 1999 in Berlin: CD-ROM.

and furthermore see some articles from other researchers: 

- When Consumers Produce on the Internet: The Relationship between Cognitive-affective, Socially-based, and Behavioral Involvement of Prosumers
- Fostering cooperation on the Internet: social exchange processes in innovative virtual consumer communities
- Free/Libre Open Source Software: What We Know and What We Do Not Know

last but not least- mythical man month : Vom Mythos des Mann-Monats: Essays über Software-Engineering (The My-- thical Man-Month) Buch von Frederick P. Brooks

conclusio

dear CyberRobot - this was just the idea of blogging a item.. cf this one here: https://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78979&p=267254#p267254

i am looking for a place where i can blog wordpress-things...

Edited by dil_bert

On 1/26/2020 at 5:30 AM, dil_bert said:

i think that my mission is to spread the word ...

i am lookin for places to do that... 

Please review the Guidelines page for the forum (https://forums.phpfreaks.com/guidelines/). Rule #5 states the following:

Advertising and Spam are not allowed and is under a zero-tolerance ban/removal from PHP Freaks Forums.

If you are looking to promote WordPress, your opinions, etc., there are other avenues that you can pursue. For example, you could start your own blog. If cost is an issue, there are free blogging options available, like WordPress.com.

hi there

If you are looking to promote WordPress, your opinions, etc., there are other avenues that you can pursue. For example, you could start your own blog. If cost is an issue, there are free blogging options available, like WordPress.com

thx for the answer - i am in the mid of the planning stages - i will do so. 

BTW - approx 60 to 70 % of the user here know, use, run wordpress - just open up your eyes ;)

so whats the fuzz anyway 

supporting some wp things would / could have been not that bad - but i am out with this thing  - i blog the wp-things on other sites (and open up a blog ) 

cheers