Bug: Using quote creates nested quotes

This is a bug I have encountered before and is rather infuriating as it trashed lots of typing and formatting.

If you quote someone (or add your own quote) and then add some text outside the quote, everything gets slurped up into the first quote which creates a real FUBAR at times.

Example: https://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/310084-article-entitlements-for-free-articles/?do=findComment&comment=1574709

I added a quote tag around my use-case so i could format key parts using color which I cannot do using the [ code ] tags.

The text I added below this got slurped up into the quoted use-case.

And prior to that it slurped up quotes from Requinix and then my responses created a couple layers of nested quotes which is NOT what I told it to do.

Had to delete my entire post and strat over, and as you can see at the end of the link above, even my 2nd attempt got FUBAR'd as well.

Infuriating.

You have been warned...

17 hours ago, requinix said:

Screenshot of the post submit textbox thing before you submit it?

Above is a [ quote ] from using the "Quote" button.

My response:  No, I didn't take a screenshot, but let me see if I can recreate it now....

Use-case

- Do this

- Do that

- Then this...

- End of use-case

This text should be outside of the [ quote ] above...

error.png

Here is a screenshot after I submitted the above post.

Notice how the text that I had added AFTER the [ quote ] tags got slurped up into the quote?

That is the bug, and it really FUBAR'd my response to you last night since I had multiple quotes from your post then my responses

error-results-after-posting.png

Eh, it's BBCode parsing. IPB doesn't want people doing that anymore. But I'll see if maybe something happened during one of our upgrades - some configuration getting screwed up, something like that.

That aside, please don't use quotes for code. You don't need to emphasize what line something else. Just say it. The little bit you gain from pointing out a particular line isn't enough to lose out on the monospace and syntax highlighting.

3 minutes ago, requinix said:

Eh, it's BBCode parsing. IPB doesn't want people doing that anymore. But I'll see if maybe something happened during one of our upgrades - some configuration getting screwed up, something like that.

I figured it was a parsing issue.

Since I am big on quoting people to give context, that one is pretty important - and even surpasses "Post #"!  🙂

3 minutes ago, requinix said:

That aside, please don't use quotes for code. You don't need to emphasize what line something else. Just say it. The little bit you gain from pointing out a particular line isn't enough to lose out on the monospace and syntax highlighting.

Okay

21 hours ago, requinix said:

But I'll see if maybe something happened during one of our upgrades - some configuration getting screwed up, something like that.

Bad news: no, the configuration I was thinking of has since been removed so it can't do what I thought it might have been doing.

Good news: I found what I'll do for the next April Fool's Day prank.

I have seen issues with quote blocks on other IPB 4 sites. And I do what Barand says: add a newline and move the quote above it.

16 hours ago, Barand said:

I have experienced difficulty in adding a new line after a quote at the bottom of a reply.

I get round it by inserting a newline above the quote then dragging the quote box above that new line.

New lone being what?

A carriage return or something like /n  /r  or <br>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.