Code For Limit Characters to 25

jkane

I want to limit this tag to 25 characters when file runs, now it can be anywhere from 7-40 characters

$teams = explode(" v ",$hie->Name);

foreach ($xml->xpath("//Competition[@id='NBA' and @sprtyp='BK']/Match") as $hie) {
    $timestamp = strtotime($hie->Date);
    $day = date('d' , $timestamp);
    $month = date('M', $timestamp);
    $time = date('h:i A', $timestamp-$timeDiff);

My recommendation?  Don't do it. 

13 hours ago, jkane said:

$teams is an array of Strings with, I assume, two elements (as in "A v B") so you don't want to restrict the number of elements there. 

If you restrict the length of the Name Xml element, then you run the risk of losing the second team entirely or even breaking your own code:

Arbitrarily cutting this at 25 characters, your code only just gets the ' v ' delimiter that the explode() function requires.  If you did the cutting at twenty characters, or if the former name were just two characters longer, then you would lose that delimiter and your code might well break, receiving only one element in the resulting $teams value.

$hie->Name = 'Arnold Schwarzenegger v Sylvester Stallone' ; 
                                      ^
                       1         2    |    3

I have to ask "why" you want to do this at all ...

If your application allows names to be longer than 25 characters, why are you truncating them? 

I suspect your Users would be less than impressed if they chose much longer names and your code just chopped them off at some arbitrary limit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.