Making a copy of a chrome desktop shortcut

Paul-D

Hi. I have google chrome as a shortcut on my desktop alongside safari firefox and others.Can be useful to see if a web page shows the same in different web browsers. I want a shortcut to a chrome web page dedicated to one particular website page. I have done this again after years but can't remember how I got their.

On the main icon, when I select properties I have six tabs: Security, Details, Previous versions, General, Shortcut and Compatibility. 

On the (dedicated shortcut) I have 5 tabs, General, web Document, Security, Details, and Previous versions

How do I create these as I am having to copy and paste to my desktop to get around it.

Are asking about the Google Chrome browser? In other words, if you click one icon, the browser displays specific options. If you click the other icon, the browser displays different options? If so, you could set up different Chrome profiles and create a shortcut for each.
https://www.howtogeek.com/256629/how-to-create-a-windows-shortcut-to-open-a-specific-profile-in-chrome/

Or are we talking about loading a web page differently based on those Chrome shortcuts?

I'm a little confused since the question was posted in the HTML forum.

Yes. On a standard chrome icon. I right click and select properties. I get a window with 6 tabs on 2 rows. Do you see the same?

What I want is an icon that I can paste a URL into and simply click it to get a web page up. 

The other icon (can't work out how it happened) has this. When I right click and choose properties I get a different pop up. and on the web document tab, I can paste a URL into it. I don't get Web document with the standard chrome desk top icon

50 minutes ago, Barand said:

With Firefox you can right click on the page and "Save as...".

Hmm... When I do that in both Firefox and Chrome, there's only an option to download the website files. You see an option to create a website shortcut?

In case anyone is looking for a quicker way to create a shortcut, you can also grab the lock icon (or where the lock would be for non-secure website) near the URL in the browser's address bar and drag it to your desktop.

If all you want to do is create a shortcut that opens a specific site, just add the URL you want it to open at the end of the target field.

shortcut.png.b89b799f29f16f8e3b71e817cb0f251d.png

You can further customize the icon and such if you want to make it easy to distinguish.  I did this on my HTPC for various streaming services.

htpc.png.0eb4add949b05a23dc63a36fdcb751cb.png

Most of those are just Firefox shortcuts with the URL added at the end and a custom icon.

4 hours ago, Paul-D said:

The other icon (can't work out how it happened) has this. When I right click and choose properties I get a different pop up. and on the web document tab, I can paste a URL into it.

For this, just right-click the desktop and do New -> Shortcut then put the URL in the text box.  This will create an internet shortcut that will open in whatever your default browser is.  If you want a browser specific shortcut, then you do like I posted above.

Alternatively, open the website in your browser then click the icon next to the URL in the address bar and drag it to the desktop and the browser will create a shortcut to the site for you.

Edited by kicken
Alternative

No. right clicking on the desk top does not give me a shortcut option. How could it. How does it know that I want a web browser short cut. Which browser?

I will make this simpler. I have two shortcuts to google chrome. I have done a screen print of the PROPERTIES OPTION, See the difference.

Virus.jpg

Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, Paul-D said:

No. right clicking on the desk top does not give me a shortcut option

It's there, you're just looking in the wrong place probably.  You have to expand the New menu first, like I said.

new-shortcut.png.84928664872354db44e302f6f996c9f5.png

I also gave you other ways to accomplish the same task.  Pick one.

12 hours ago, cyberRobot said:

You see an option to create a website shortcut?

Firefox:

right click ==>image.png.7b89b8d88c5cb699743fda4d2bc5a277.png

Select "Desktop" folder, name file and save.

12 hours ago, cyberRobot said:

you can also grab the lock icon (or where the lock would be for non-secure website) near the URL in the browser's address bar and drag it to your desktop.

So you can - with Firefox and Chrome anyhow. (not Edge, surprise, surprise)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.