Capture photo from webcam

ramiwahdan

Hi,

I am making login page with database and php. I need to be able when the person clicks theogin button to take photo of the person and add it to that same database based on the info entered.

I am doing this to know if that person that logged in is the person in reality.

Is it possible 

53 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

Are you saying that a server based app could actually access the client camera and move that up to the server for storing?  I"m surprised.

The server can't access the camera.  Client-side Javascript however potentially can.  It requires the user to grant permission though so it's not something you could just do sneakily in the background.

So it's entirely possible to tie a click handler to your login button that would request camera access and then snap a photo and upload it.

13 hours ago, requinix said:

Not in any way that someone who would want to lie about their identity couldn't circumvent.

OK,

i was not clear, this is done for school admin, both client computer and server computer are handled by Admin. the admin will place the client computer in the main reception area where students will login when they come to school. the Admin know the student pictures in their own system (HR forms), so they want to know who is logging in to who (sheeting the system).

example if student 555440 logged in and picture taken, the HR will verify if that photo is really the same for the student id 555440.

hope its clear...

If someone doesn't want to be seen they'll just hide from the camera. Or worse, they'll take their own picture of the person they want to log in as and use that.

Know that this is not real security.

But as said, yes: you can use Javascript to get a still from the camera, then upload that like any other file.

• Like 1

I agree with Requinix.  The better approach (if you really need to do this) is what cruise ships have been doing for years.  When passengers come back on board they line up and go thru a metal detector (of course!) and a baggage check and they scan their id card that was created when they arrived for their trip.  This card is linked to a photo taken by the registration staff and when the card is scanned a picture shows up so that the crew knows for sure that the person now boarding is the person who is registered to that card - just like what you want to know.  The difference is they rely on a staff member doing the immediate supervision of this interaction, not a computer check in a back office.  (I hope I made sense here)

• Great Answer 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.