Help displaying info from a users database table

Nematode128

Hello I'm trying to set up a user area for my site where it displays the current logged in users ranking and other information in the future.  

<?
 ini_set('display_errors', 1);
require_once "header.php";

$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = ?";

if($stmt = mysqli_prepare($link, $sql)){

mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt, 's', $_SESSION['username']);

if(mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt)){

$info = mysqli_fetch_array($stmt);

echo "Current rank:" . $info['rank'];

} else {

echo "Can't find user";
   }
   }
   mysqli_stmt_close($stmt);

?>

That's the code I currently have but it gives me the error "but get an error message of mysqli_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result"

fetching data from a mysqli prepared query doesn't work the way you are used to for fetching data from a query. you will need to consult the documentation for the extra code necessary, or you can switch to the much simpler PDO database extension, which does work for fetching the data from a prepared query in the way you are used to.

also, if you use exceptions for database statement errors, and in most cases let php catch and handle the exception, you won't have to add logic (or can remove the logic you have now) that's testing the result of the prepare() and execute() statements, simplifying the code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.