Cannot select data after update or delete sql statement in php in same action

CarolHCX

In the same $-POST , i wanted  to perform update and delete. With the updated and deleted database, I need to select the updated data from the database. However, it tells me:  Warning: mysqli_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in... .I am new to sql in php, is it true that i cannot perform sql in this way? Or is there any suggestion to perform select straight after deleting and updating?

CANCEL BOOK RESERVATION
if(isset($_POST['cancelres']))
{

$query = "DELETE FROM reserved_books WHERE id='$resid';"; //delete reservation
        $query .="UPDATE reserved_books SET queue = queue - 1 WHERE bookid = '$bookid' AND queue > '$bookqueue';";//update queue number where reservation that queue behind/after/ the current reservation
        $query_run = mysqli_multi_query($connection, $query);

if($query_run)
        {
          $_SESSION['success'] = "Reservation Cancelled";
        }
        else
        {
          $_SESSION['status'] = " Reservation Not Cancelled";    
        }

$query= "SELECT title FROM books WHERE id = '$bookid';"; //get book title from db
        $query_run = mysqli_query($connection,$query);
        if(mysqli_num_rows($query_run)>0)
        {
            foreach ($query_run as $row) {
            $title = $row['title'];
            }
        }
        $bookres = "SELECT * FROM reserved_books WHERE bookid = '$bookid' AND queue = 1";
        $bookres_run = mysqli_query($connection,$bookres);
        foreach($bookres_run as $row)
        {
            $res_username = $row['username'];
            $res_id = $row['id'];
        }

$query= "SELECT option_value FROM settings WHERE option_name = 'email_temp_rescollect'"; //get email template from db
        $query_run = mysqli_query($connection,$query);
        if(mysqli_num_rows($query_run)>0)
        {
            $row = mysqli_fetch_array($query_run);
            $rescollect_template = $row[0];
        }}

If he result of a query is boolean (ie false) then the query failed. Check for failures. Easiest way is to put this line before your mysqli connection line

mysqli_report(MYSQLI_REPORT_ERROR|MYSQLI_REPORT_STRICT);

You must like living on the edge. Embedded variables in the query AND multi query. That's not just opening the door to SQL injection, it's demolishing the whole wall.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.