Mail with php mailer

macfanpl

OK so to start.

We have our domain in the format X.com. Our new-mail form (php) is under mails.X.com. We use phpmail for sending mails. Receiving is disabled.

There is apcall for mail() function in button's onclick event. Works as intended (gets call transmitted to phpmail function as well as MTP's) but mails never leaves our servers (and reaches receipient(s)). What may the problem be?

You don't seem to be offering us anything to work on.   At least one person responded with a guess.  As for what you are asking us to do - your opening post makes absolutely no sense to me and apparently nobody else since they haven't responded either.

What is "phpmail"?  Never heard of that one.  Maybe you meant phpmailer?  A typo then.  

What is "MTP"?  Perhaps you meant to say SMTP?

What does "receiving is disabled" mean?  Got me.

What is a "new-mail form"?  Got me

What is an "ap-call for mail()"?  Have no idea what you are trying to convey with this one.

So many (apparently) mis-typed references here I can't follow what you are trying to say.

Have you done any debugging of your process to see what it is doing?  Any error messages you haven't read yet?  You certainly haven't passed any on to us?  But that was already mentioned.

On 4/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, ginerjm said:

What is "phpmail"?

PHPMail is mail functionality built-in to PHP.....

What is "MTP"?

MTP = Mail Transfer Protocol

What does "receiving is disabled" mean?

It means you can (theoretically) send mail outwards. but this form does not allow you to receive ( = read) inward mails.

What is a "new-mail form"?

It means the PHP form (webpage) for sending mails.

What is an "ap-call for mail()"?

I meant API

Have you done any debugging of your process to see what it is doing?

Oh yes..... main problem with debugger is that no errors are being reported. One reason may be faulty debugger.

Edited by macfanpl

Debugging sometimes is best done by you putting outputs into your script to track the path your logic is taking.  As well as to confirm your assumptions.

In my experience forms never receive mail, hence my confusion.

Using the term PHPMail is so close to name of the PHPMailer product that there was confusion.  I've never seen anyone capitalize the PHP mail function that way before - hence the confusion.

I do believe that if anyone else were to jump in here (and in 48 hrs. it doesn't seem to be happening) the first thing they would suggest is to download and use PHPMailer, a different and well-respected mailing package.

And anytime you want to post some code in the general area of concern with this problem, I"m sure you would get some additional help.

51 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

Debugging sometimes is best done by you putting outputs into your script to track the path your logic is taking

You are absolutely right. But, its a bit tricky when it comes to mail forms (templates)....

52 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

In my experience forms never receive mail,

To be precise, its mail-server which receives mail, and this (incoming mail) triggers some sort of action (eg. notification) in the form (template).

53 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

Using the term PHPMail is so close to name of the PHPMailer product that there was confusion.

What do you suggest than?

54 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

And anytime you want to post some code in the general area of concern with this problem, I"m sure you would get some additional help.

Thanks for this tip.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.