print_r Output Changed

bsmither

After switching from PHP 5.3 on Windows Server 2003 to PHP 7.4.3 on Linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia Cinnamon), I find that the output of print_r() has changed.

If we look at the documentation (https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.print-r.php), the provided example output is as it was on my earlier machine:

<pre>
Array
(
    [a] => apple
    [b] => banana
    [c] => Array
        (
            [0] => x
            [1] => y
            [2] => z
        )
)
</pre>

However, on the second machine, the output is:

<pre>
Array
(
    [a] => apple
    [b] => banana
    [c] => Array
        (
            [0] => x
            [1] => y
            [2] => z
        )
<blank line>
)
</pre>

Note the unexpected new line after each recursed array's closing parenthesis. The new line is not present after the outermost array closing parenthesis.

Also to note, there is a newer version of XDebug installed.

My question is: Is this a bug? (Follow-on question: if possible to determine at which version the output changed, what version would that be?)

This difference is causing existing code to not be able to correctly parse that output.

I wouldn't know what to look for when searching PHP's bug tracking system.

That's why I asked here - maybe there is someone here who is far, far more into understanding the innards of PHP who could definitely say the extra line endings is a bug, and whether or not it is even directly associated with print_r(), or if the extra line endings were coded into the PHP source elsewhere and its appearance in print_r() is a knock-on effect.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.