cache problem with Edge browser

jodunno

Hello everyone,

I don't know where to post this question because it is related to Apache and web browsers as well as php and programming design. I chose Apache because this is where the problem begins for me.

problem: i have css code that uses transitions, transorm scale and transparency etc. so graphics heavy. Everything is okay in major browsers (IE/Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Opera). Now i want to control the cache. I set a Header in Apache to maxage=3600, private. I don't want a public cache when i have private protected pages (member subscriptions). Every browser except Edge is okay with my changes. Edge is creating multiple problems! My css transform icons are now unstable or wobbly during the transform/transition state. It is horrible. However, a bigger problem exists: my single page routing system breaks the home page in Edge. I route all requests through an page router, which then loads the appropriate content for index.php Now Edge does not show my home page. Instead i see only the last page loaded from the page router. understand? so home page, then click on link, linked page loads. click home link and it simply reloads the current page as index file. Why is this happening? All of my links are post requests, home page links are anchors. So i need to make home links also post requests?

I wonder if my routing is the problem and other browsers are ignoring it? or is this an Edge issue, since only Edge is giving me a problem.

Honestly, i am not a server configuration guru and i have no experience with proper headers. Anyone able to understand my problem and offer a solution?

Best wishes.

so the problem persists after a boatload of testing. I have tried separating headers in apache:

HEADER set Cache-Control "no-cache" HEADER set Cache-Control "no-store" HEADER set Cache-Control "private"

I've discovered a new cause. I have my site set as homepage in Edge. The problem is started whenever i just close the browser (not log out), then open the browser and log back in. It appears as though the homepage is a cached version of the site? which should still check the server and detect a no-cache header. The problem is especially noticeable whenever i have Chrome open at the same time. I cannot recreate this wobbly css cache problem with new versions of Firefox but old versions also make my css unstable.

Anyone know of a solution to this problem? otherwise, i have to tell people that they cannot make my site their home page and that they have to manually clear the cache. that is sh1tty.

Update:

this isn't an Apache problem. I have battled this issue now for three days and i found a culprit: Edge browser (versions 38 up until new chrome based version) break my css button tranform if clear cached data and files is selected. That is ridiculous. Like saying we aren't allowed to clear our cache to help espionage and data centralization. Absolutely garbage. I will be sure to mention this in my specifications/requirements page. All other browsers handle my files correctly. Microsoft is a piece of work.

Anyway, Thank you for your time. By the way, no-store is the correct method of having pages not cached. no-cache is not correct. private is not correct. I had to research this subject.

Best wishes and please stay healthy everyone. Corona virus is a big problem for us all.

Here's what you want:

header("Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"); // HTTP 1.1.
header("Pragma: no-cache"); // HTTP 1.0.
header("Expires: 0 "); // Proxies.

Major Stackoverflow discussion of this topic.

Keep in mind that if you are using sessions, PHP session configuration can screw with your cache control settings:  Read about session-cache-limiter.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.