Syntax error thrown when no syntax error

wclarke

The issue is there seems to be NO syntax error.

1. There is no relevant code before or after this line. 2. Yes, one would think a ! should be there as did I (I didn't write the code), however, even with the ! it still gives the same error.

if (function_exists('gzcompress')) die(FUNCTION_NOT_FOUND); is giving me a

syntax error, unexpected 'if', expecting 'function' or 'const'

I am updating this code from PHP5.3 to PHP7.4 and I can't figure out what the syntax problem is since PHP allows this. I am using Eclipse PHP to do the conversion.

PHP saying there is a syntax error on line X doesn't necessarily mean that the error is actually on line X.  It could in fact be anywhere from line 1 through X.

The line PHP reports is just where PHP finally realized there is a problem.  With issues such as missing quotation marks or missing closing braces PHP will be able to continue parsing the source for quite a while before realizing something is amiss.  Most of the time, the line number reported gets you close, but if nothing appears wrong there you need to start back tracking until you figure it out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.