Zip on old systems (php 5.5), transfer to new system

Sonnich

Hi all

I am updating a old system to transfer files, and implementing download data as zip. My client want to move to a new ISP due to problems with the current ISP

The old system run "5.5.38-1~dotdeb+7.1" (not sure how to read it, why plus seven?), and the new systenm "7.2.31-pl0-zoneos".

The code, same on both can zip and unzip. However the old system causes me problems as:

1) the new system can handle non English characters, the old cannot, eg replacing Ü with _ and ä with õ. How can I get around this?

2) the old system can make a zip and I can download it. However on win7 and some old zip stuff there I can open it.
I cannot upload to the new server, I get error 19, not a valid zip.
Same when downloading to win10, it cannot open the zip. 7-zip cannot open it either.
The old system can accept the zip from it self.
Zips from my windows both 7 and 10 can upload to both as well as zip from the new system. No problems.
A work-around - I download the weird zip on win7, unzip and re-zip with windows and upload to the new system. It works, it just leaves me with some weird character. There are 7705 files so I will not correct it manually.

So my problems is, some old system running "5.5.38-1~dotdeb+7.1" cannot handle non-English characters and the zip is not valid.

Does anyone have any idea how to handle the charcaters, and maybe - why the zip is in an old format not readable by newer systems?

1. You don't "get around" it. You fix it. Likely by updating some php.ini settings to match how 5.5 worked. Note that there were a lot of changes to how character encoding works in PHP so you cannot simply copy and paste settings.

2. This could be an encoding problem. Fix that first.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.