Installing php extension not recogned

Ubuntu 20.04 (desktop version) in a VirtualBox
Bitnami Lampstack 7.2.31
PHP 7.4.6
GLPI 9.5.0 rc1

Missing extensions:
CAS
sodium

I want to setup a test machine to look at GLPI and see if it's any good but there are a couple of php extensions I need to install. It doesn't matter what I do to install them GLPI says they are not installed.

I have seen that I have two php.ini files which makes me think that PHP might be installed twice in different locations. And when I try to install the extension it might be installing the extension in the wrong PHP installation.

These two php.ini
/home/matthew/lampstack/php/etc/php.ini
/etc/php/7.4/cli/php.ini

I've tried editing the php.ini files and I've tried following different tutorials telling me to

For example with CAS I get:
matthew@matthew-GLPI:/etc/php/7.4/cli$ sudo apt-get install -y php-cas
[sudo] password for matthew:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
php-cas is already the newest version (1.3.8-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
matthew@matthew-GLPI:/etc/php/7.4/cli$

Note: I get errors when I check the version, but I loads of errors trying to get ldap extension installed and despite this error GLPI recognises it and says it's installed.
matthew@matthew-GLPI:/etc/php/7.4/cli$ php -v
PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'ldap' (tried: /usr/lib/php/20190902/ldap (/usr/lib/php/20190902/ldap: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory), /usr/lib/php/20190902/ldap.so (/usr/lib/php/20190902/ldap.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)) in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Module 'sodium' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP 7.4.3 (cli) (built: May 26 2020 12:24:22) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.4.0, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.4.3, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

How do I specify which php installation to install an extension to when doing a install command on the command line?

What am I getting wrong?

I'm generally confused.

You just need to use the Ubuntu package installers inside the shell in your ubuntu vm, which in your case is probably something like this to get both packages:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libsodium-dev;
sudo pecl install -f libsodium
sudo apt install php-cas

You are going to need to stop/start php-fpm & apache after you installed the packages.  Do checks with php -i and phpinf() and make sure that the packages are being seen by by command line php and php in apache.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.