I just installed Ubuntu 20.04. Via command line, what's the best way to install/activate PHP 7.4:

This way?
simply type "apt install php"

Or this way?
type these commands:
apt -y install software-properties-common
add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php
apt-get update
apt install php7.4

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, I did :-)

I am loving Ubuntu, on my first-ever VPS. Even though I don't know what I'm doing, having total administrative control on a VPS is fun!

However, being able to view server access logs is scary! I didn't realize that every single minute (especially at night) there are dozens of probes and attempted logins happening all the time.... is this normal?

3 hours ago, StevenOliver said:

However, being able to view server access logs is scary! I didn't realize that every single minute (especially at night) there are dozens of probes and attempted logins happening all the time.... is this normal?

Yeah. Firewall off everything you can as strictly as you can, and use non-standard ports for private services like SSH.

Okay, I just now changed the default SSH port in sshd_config on both my identically configured Ubuntu 20.04 servers.

ssh -p 1234 user@example.com works perfect on Server #1.

Server #2 won't allow me to connect (ssh times out).

why why why WHY!

On one hand, this is fun -- it gives me something to work on for the next 100 hours... On the other hand, it's frustrating, I have other fun things I want to do (like monkey with installing an email server and avoid getting blacklisted).

Both servers have firewall (UFW) disabled while I'm trying to figure out why one server works and the other doesnt....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.